The Definitive masterpieces of prog metal

In the very same 101 rules of prog metal is says and I quote 'under no circumstances must anybody know about the album 'The Edge' by Eternity X.

I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking that Divine Wings is SX's best work.

Time for a twist, albums within this category you don't like :

Ark Burn the Sun - This has an absolutely superb rhythm section and it's nicely progressive but it's keyboards are so half-assed, I don't think it has enough melody and the lyrics are awful, 'I saw her face in a magazine will she ever know my name', I didn't realise 12 year old girls were into prog metal these days. It's about time somebody stopped kissing this albums ass, ouch my keyboard is on fire.

Ark Burn the Sun - This has an absolutely superb rhythm section and it's nicely progressive but it's keyboards are so half-assed said:
it isnt editing right :(

Alright, I admit, a some of Ark's lyrics are silly (because of Jorn) but he sang very well although cliche'd. The reason I usually listen to the album is because Tore Ostby is on it (from Conception) he is one of my favorite guitarist and perhaps comes up with the coolest riffs in music today.

Some news (taken from www.arksite.com) if you didn't know:

Oct 8, 2003 Getting ready for the recording of the 3d album

The band is now together in New York, preparing the recording of their third album. Dates for the studio recordings are not set yet, but the intentions are to do it as soon as possible.

As far as I know - no Jorn - but a very good swiss singer who lives on long Island I believe. The rest of the band is trying to convince Tore to move down to New York too (going off rumor here).

<<In the very same 101 rules of prog metal is says and I quote 'under no circumstances must anybody know about the album 'The Edge' by Eternity X.>>

Great album, but I don't get this joke, as it has long been revered among prog metallers...

Dream Theater - Awake

Dream Theater - Images & Words

Symphony X - V

Symphony X - The Divine Wings of Tragedy

Vanden Plas - Farr off Grace

Ark - Burn the Sun

Ayreon - Into the Electric Castle

Great album, but I don't get this joke, as it has long been revered among prog metallers...

Has it fuck.

No offence man but I never hear this album mentioned by anyone anywhere so I respect you for validating it but I think it's so criminally underrated I think there is some sort of conspiracy against Eternity X

IN CASE YOU DIDN'T FUCKIN HEAR ME THE 1ST TIME THE EDGE IS THE MASTERPIECE OF PROG METAL SO GET IT NOW YOU MAINSTREAM INFLUENCED PUNKS.

Alright, I admit, a some of Ark's lyrics are silly (because of Jorn) but he sang very well although cliche'd. The reason I usually listen to the album is because Tore Ostby is on it (from Conception) he is one of my favourite guitarist and perhaps comes up with the coolest riffs in music today.

I 100% agree with you here, I also really like the guitarist but I think the singer and lyrics leave a lot to be desired, if they had some decent lyrics a new singer and better keyboard production the could be a prog metal monster.

Ayreon - Into The Electric Castle: Is it prog? possibly not, but it probably defined the new concept album wave, and is a bloody good album as well.

Pain of Salvation - Perfect Element: Metal, possibly only if we throw away all the old clichés, but a fantastic piece of emotionally charged music, and one of the most exciting rhythm sections around today.

I got it yesturday and im definatly saying that. As well as the perfect element by POS, got them both along with In Search of Truth by Evergrey in a single buy! best bulk cd purchase i've got.

How about Meshuggah - Destroy Erase Improve?

Not many guitar-keyboard duels or blazing choruses to be found there, but instead very tight rhythmical playing, and a nice, dark atmosphere - Just as cozy as hugging a steel cactus. :D

Yup, Meshuggah is definatly very cool, fucking crazy! i love them.

But I wouldn't say it's a masterpeice