Your top 5 Prog Metal bands

Alexander TG

The literate drummer
Mar 23, 2003
E. London
Visit site
Hi fellow Symphony X fans, I'm new round here, got officially hooked on Symphony when I heard Divine Wings, went out and PAID (not downloaded) the rest of the catalogue and the rest is history, Symphony X fuckin rule. My favourite album is V, it's just magic plain n simple.

Anyways I think the genre of prog metal is the most underrated ever and I'm always on the look out for new prog bands so I would love to hear your recommendations, here is my top 5,

1) Symphony X
2) Dream Theater
3) Vanden Plas
4) Andromeda
5) Pagens Mind (New album celestial entrance rocks, all buy it!)

Everybody I know is into crap like hip hop, rap, garage, dance, and stuff so I consider myself an outcast liking this music but I don't tell nobody because I live in a very small minded society here in the UK.

Alexander TG said:
I heard about Pain of Salvation but somebody said thier was hints of rap and nu-metal so I thought fuck that, is there any truth in this?
NO WAY. The person who said that could not have heard any pain of salvation album. Pain of Salvation is totally no nu-metal and has no rap. I think it's a great original band with fantastic albums. You should check them out.

Hm...Let's see...

1. Symphony X
2. Dream Theater
3. Liquid Tension Experiment
4. Kansas
5. Rush

I hope Prog Rock counts...

EDIT: Crap, I forgot about Porcupine Tree. Push everything down one, and put Porcupine Tree at number 2...

1. Symphony X
2. Ayreon / side projects
3. Arena
4. Dream Theater
5. IQ

Not really in a particular order, but I'm listening to SyX and Ayreon the most atm. The new Star One Live-double CD /DVD just rocks btw! I cant wait for a Symphony X DVD...

Uh...well the ones after SX are in no particular order of likeness:

1. Symphony X
2. Evergrey
3. Angra
4. Nightwish
5. Dream Theater

these are the ones I actually listen to the most and buy cd's of. I listen to many others because a friend of mine sells prog/metal music at his store (its a game/book store). I get to hear a lot of stuff without actually buying it.

Tyrion said:
1. Symphony X
2. Ayreon / side projects
3. Arena
4. Dream Theater
5. IQ

Not really in a particular order, but I'm listening to SyX and Ayreon the most atm. The new Star One Live-double CD /DVD just rocks btw! I cant wait for a Symphony X DVD...
Strange thing.., don't please tell me you haven't read the topic
:wave: Do you really think that Ayreon, and especially Arena and IQ are Prog Metal bands?

Some people would say that Ayreon isn't a band, but Arjen is #1 and the epicenter of my musical universe. As for prog metal bands. . .

1. Symphony X
2. Threshold
3. Dream Theater
4. Opeth
5. Evergrey

My tastes are constantly changeing apart from SyX being #1.
So here is the top 5 for this week

1. SyX
2. DT (I used to be anti-dt, but now i love them)
3. Spiral Architect (I think they out-prog prog!)
4. Andromeda
5. Planet X

I can't do this list without adding at least two prog-rock band, sorry,
(in no particular order)

Symphony X
Dream Theater
Mind's Eye
Ayreon/Star One
Rush

BTW, Pain of Salvation is a piece of a big pile of shit (of some other bands, like Metallica). I saw them when they were supporting DT last year and it sounded like they played the same song over and over again. Also they were as off-beat as you can get. I'm sorry I had to suffer through that.

:lol at LOTS.

Not all prog metal but always seem to get lumbered in that category:

1) Dream Theater
2) Symphony X
3) Rush
4) Kings X
5) Vanden Plas

Worthy mentions also go to Ayreon/Star One (Arjen is a god), Magellan and Ark.

Macy said:
Symphony X
Dream Theater
Mind's Eye
Ayreon/Star One
Rush

BTW, Pain of Salvation is a piece of a big pile of shit (of some other bands, like Metallica)..

Yes this is true. Keep funkness and nu-ness the FUCK out of prog.
pukeface.gif

And except for Dream Theater, I really like that list.

Mine(in no particular order except for SX):

Symphony X
Ayreon/Star One
Fates Warning
Labyrinth(more so power than prog...sue me)
Chalice