Everyone List Best Prog Bands/guitartist

viking1065

Mar 30, 2003
Visit site
i am looking to find other good bands to listen to, were i live people listen to country or rap please help it's a miracle i discovered symphony x and i am sure there are other new prog bands or guitar players who rock, thanks everyone for the help

Conception and ARK - Tore Ostby (amazing skill and feel)

Freak Kitchen - Mattias Eklundh (I think he is the most skilled/inventive guitarist today)

Nevermore - Jeff Loomis (i think he is the best metal guitarist today)

Andromeda - Johan Reinholdz (perhaps the proggiest guitarist I can think of)

.Liquid Tension Experiment or John Petrucci... Or Mike Portnoy for that matter. Soul of Ice said Andromeda, that's a really good one... Some similiar bands to Symphony X (only in some ways, of course), that you might not consider Prog... Angra, Blind Guardian, Rhapsody, Yngwie Malmsteen (sickest guitar player I've laid eyes on), Gamma Ray, Edguy, Galadriel, Ice Age, Nightwish, Lacuna Coil, Pagan's Mind, Stratovarius, Kategory V... I don't know how familiar you are with the Music, so even though a lot of these aren't like Symphony X in the slightest, it's great Music to check out, heh. Hope I've helped some how.

If i were you, i would begin to listen to the "old" stuff: The pioneers of progressive movement. If these groups had not existed, we would not have bands such as SymphonyX. Try:

King Crimson
Emerson, Lake and Palmer.
YES
Jetro Tull.

I like a few current groups:

Progressive Metal

SymphonyX:tickled:
Adagio
Shadow Gallery
Time Requiem
Artension

Power Metal

Only Kamelot

It might be a good idea to try with some classical music composers, i recommend you, the romantic era: Beethoven, Chopin, Schubert etc.

Good Luck

I can't believe no one mentioned:

Ayreon/Ambeon/Star One

Guitarist(Multi-instrumentalist) Arjen Anthony Lucassen.

Sir Russell sings on a song or 2 if you give Ayreon and Star One a listen.

Djm said:
I can't believe no one mentioned:

Ayreon/Ambeon/Star One

Guitarist(Multi-instrumentalist) Arjen Anthony Lucassen.

Sir Russell sings on a song or 2 if you give Ayreon and Star One a listen.

Because I haven't posted yet, dude!

Ajren was my reason to go prog and get a guitar.

He's Romeo-equal (which is the highest level IHMO) but his style is different, very different... and he doesn't have bad songs either...

you should definitly check out Stratovarius, Visions is their best album IMO. Tolkki's about as good as Romeo, and the rest of the band kicks ass too. It's just straight melodic power metal, really good stuff. Then check out Sonata Arctica, very heavily Strato influence, they're much younger and a little lessp polished, but Tony Kakko writes better songs than Tolkki.

Luis said:
:OMG::yell::tickled::tickled::tickled: Good Joke¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡ Tolkkis as good as MJR jejeje¡¡¡¡¡¡
The only band member in Stratovarius that equal the level of
SymphonyXs guys maybe is Jens Johansson.

Agreed, Tolkki is nowhere near MJR`s musical abilities and sheer speed

Ayreon
Star One
King Crimson
Dream Theater
I can't say this enough: OZRIC TENTACLES
Porcupine Tree perhaps.. I don't really think of them as a prog band but I think prog-snobs can enjoy them.

Sixxxpounder said:
.Liquid Tension Experiment or John Petrucci... Or Mike Portnoy for that matter. Soul of Ice said Andromeda, that's a really good one... Some similiar bands to Symphony X (only in some ways, of course), that you might not consider Prog... Angra, Blind Guardian, Rhapsody, Yngwie Malmsteen (sickest guitar player I've laid eyes on), Gamma Ray, Edguy, Galadriel, Ice Age, Nightwish, Lacuna Coil, Pagan's Mind, Stratovarius, Kategory V... I don't know how familiar you are with the Music, so even though a lot of these aren't like Symphony X in the slightest, it's great Music to check out, heh. Hope I've helped some how.

Wow! Thanks for that plug dude! :wave:
I was a little suprised to run into that reading through this thread. :D

There are far to many prog/power metal guitarists for me to even come close to naming personaly... If their playing this type of music, then they must be amazing! Well, in my opionion anyway!

\m/
Dustin

Ron isn't in Cacophany!

But Timo Tolki (IMO) blows. He's is unbeleivibly sloppy and only picks. No Arpeggio's, no tapping, I haven't even heard some legato.!

But then again, thats only IMO.And I've only heard Infinity from 'em, I dont know how other times he's like. And I don't want any flamming from it. I've had enough flaming personally.

I think what I wanted to mention has been already mention ... Shadow Gallery ... Ayreon ... Opeth ... Iced Earth ... Psychotic Waltz ... Kamelot ...

Lots of them aren't really pure progressive ... but its good metal.

Mr. Shred-ididle said:
Ron isn't in Cacophany!
Dude, what the fuck are you on?!? :lol: it's Cacophony and I didn't said Ron was in Cacophony:
Check out Ron Jarzombek from Spastic Ink and Cacophony.
In other words, check out Spastic Ink and (the band) Cacophony :p