Everyone don't like Dream Theater!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammerforce

echoing from the waves
Jan 28, 2004
Finland
Ok. I noticed that here's quite a lot fans of dream theater. I "adore" Symphony X but dream theater is not really music for me. Let's find some reasons! DT is not so heavy, progressiveness rule. Some melodies are good but the riffs suck (hehe...). Maybe lyrics are great. And the artists.
Well... Other bands I like are Adagio, some classical and... Helloween! Of course I listen to some other bands, but SX is everything for me.
Someone would say: if you like X, you like theater too. But those bands are not so similar...

So... I don't know if there's some other guys who don't listen to DT.
Let's talk about Symphony X, not Dream Theater!

I don't like it either so much, tho; I think their Latest TOT cd is very cool.. only bad thing is JAMES L. (wich i can't stand his voice) and Petrucci's solos are horrible lol

I'm a DT fan, but I'm not like a die hard nerd. I'm really getting into ToT, even though the solos are a waste of time. There sure seems to be a lot of DT threads on this board, so why start another one? Sad thing is that these threads get the most replies! bah...

I do enjoy Dream Theater's music that much. When I listen to it I get absolutly no atmosphere or feeling from it whereas I get both atmosphere and feeling from the music if Symphony X. Dream Theater sounds very "stale" to me.

Dream Theater is my favourite band, and this is absolutely the most stupid thread ever!
For example I wouldn't started a thread where to talk shit about Iron Maiden just because I don't like them! :Smug:

Dream Theater's Images and Words and Awake were 2 excellent cds. They made some decent songs afterwards like The Glass Prison and A Change of Seasons. I think Dream Theater is cool... not as cool as Liquid Tension Experiment, but songs like Metropolis Pt. 1, come on, that's such a badass tune! Jordan Ruddess and John Petrucci are amazing. All in all, Dream Theater is decent, but Liquid Tension Experiment is better, as is Symphony X. Just my opinion. One thing I admire in LTE is their improv abilities. 3-minute warning, 28 minutes of awesome improv prog.

-Kronikle

DT is a great band. I'm not into their new stuff, and I like Symphony X far better. Still, you can't listen to Images, Awake, or ACOS and tell me they're not a good band. They are (or at least they WERE) some of the best when it came to combining technical, complex stuff to make listenable songs. They're very versatile, too.

Dream Theater is a bore! I cannot believe people actually prefer them over X. But you know what? We live in a world where idiots become idolized and the smart just get pushed aside.

NegrocK_SyX said:
Amanda Is an Anti-DT thread ;p

lol Daniel yes the anti DT vibe is quite strong in here. Even though I am not as into them as I used to be and have some anti DT feelings myself, I don't think we need to start a thread to bash them. I respect those that really love the band, just as I would want them to respect me for really loving SymX.

I like some DT, mainly just I&W and Awake. Although I dont like any of their newer stuff because I just find it to be too mechanical, that doesn't mean I'm right or anyone else is who says it sucks for any reason. I mean the musicianship on ToT is great, even if I think every song I've heard on it isn't, but does that mean it sucks? no, to some people it's not gonna be that great while to others it's the best album yet, and there's no right or wrong here. Even if I say Symphony X is better than DT (which I'm just using as an example since it seems to be so popular ;) ) I will still realize that it's all a matter of opinion and that no matter how much I think, believe, or "know" I'm right, there is no wrong or right. I hope this can just put an end to this thread... I just simply don't like participating in discussions like this...

MuffinCrisis said:
Dream Theater is a bore! I cannot believe people actually prefer them over X. But you know what? We live in a world where idiots become idolized and the smart just get pushed aside.

Dream Theater = Idiots???!!! :err: NO!

Eminen, Nelly, Brtiney=Idiots!!! YES!

Don't cross the crooked step! :D

MuffinCrisis said:
The irony :rolleyes:

I enjoy listening to them from time to time, but i'm not a fan by any means.

Why do so many Symphony X fans (I'm generalising) feel that they need to devote their lives to badmouthing DT. You don't like them" Fine. But it's kind of weird how there are little to no threads slamming Symphony X on the DT boards, but here, all I see are Symphony X fans talking shit about DT. Why?

This post was made to because he thought there were too many DT threads here. And look what he created, another DT thread! Lol.........anyway, I like DT quite a bit, old and new, but do prefer SX much more over them. If DT were to play a concert near where I live and it wasn't much of a hassle to get tickets and go, I would. But if it would require me to go far out of my way in order to plan to see them I would probably forget about it. I guess that could sum up my feelings for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.