prog bands

I think Glory of the Empire is drawn favourite with the title track. Those songs (inc. The Prophecy and Sin) made me consider them on the same tier as Symphony X :)

I love those tracks also. I especially like the piano solo in The Prophecy. It's just...great haha.

What do you guys think of Seventh Wonder's newest album? I really like Waiting in the Wings and Mercy Falls but I don't feel the same about the Great Escape. Is it a grower?

It's absolutely a grower. My first thought when I heard it was: "are the vocals ever gonna stop?" It just seems SO drenched in vocals, and I generally focus the most on vocals, but they are overwhelming at first. But the more you listen, the more you realize how cool the album is. Personally, I think The Great Escape might be their most consistent album. Mercy Falls has the strongest individual songs but fails overall due to some clunkers and the ATROCIOUS voice acting. Waiting in the Wings still has the most iconic songs, imo.

What do you guys think of Seventh Wonder's newest album? I really like Waiting in the Wings and Mercy Falls but I don't feel the same about the Great Escape. Is it a grower?

I honestly think The Great Escape is their strongest album, and I've been listening to them since about when Waiting in the Wings was released. I thought Mercy Falls had some great songs on it, but it was a tad too cheesy for me. I liked Wings better - the best songs on that one (Star, Taint, title track, Banish, Edge) make me completely forget about the few fillers on there.

But anyway, I think the new one is their strongest. There's really no weak songs, and some amazing standout ones (Wiseman, King, title track). Obviously, the title track is spectacular, covering so many musical soundscapes that I couldn't even really comprehend it on my first listen. It certainly doesn't feel like a half hour has gone by after listening to it!

It's absolutely a grower. My first thought when I heard it was: "are the vocals ever gonna stop?" It just seems SO drenched in vocals, and I generally focus the most on vocals, but they are overwhelming at first. But the more you listen, the more you realize how cool the album is. Personally, I think The Great Escape might be their most consistent album. Mercy Falls has the strongest individual songs but fails overall due to some clunkers and the ATROCIOUS voice acting. Waiting in the Wings still has the most iconic songs, imo.

You make some good points about the vocals on The Great Escape - there are a lot of them. However, I don't really even notice that there's an abundance of vocals, since I think his voice blends so perfectly with the music. It just all sounds so good as a whole.

I might call The Great Escape their best album. It's either that or Mercy Falls for me, which i see I'm in the minority with on this forum. Waiting In The Wings is good but to me it's lacking compared to the other albums, possibly because it just is shorter (less songs to enjoy than compared to Mercy Falls, and less music to enjoy compared to TGE since the title track lasts 30 mins) and it doesn't have something special going for it like the concept of Mercy Falls or the epic of TGE. The songs are still great but the songs on TGE are just as good or better to me, and there is more of them.

I agree the voice acting detracts from Mercy Falls though, especially the doctor's voice. It's understandable that it's there, and I don't mind since I feel like it's better that I know the story through them than just being forced to read it, but now that I know the story it is a shame I can't listen to One Last Goodbye without suffering through a considerable amount of the doctor speaking.

But yes, TGE absolutely grew on me. All the songs did - I was impressed with the shorter songs on it from the beginning but now I'd put them among SW's best, and the title track, obviously, can take a long time to appreciate but now it's my favourite song by them and honestly among my favourite songs overall. I wouldn't have called it their best album at first but now I possibly would.

Of course, my first recommendation is Pain of Salvation.

Also check out Fates Warning and Redemption.
Not to mention Ayreon and Star One.

Also, check out Evergrey's In Search Of Truth, and The Inner Circle albums.

And I agree with whoever said Myrath! They're fantastic, a lot like Symphony X.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahhh... The Perfect Element.
My favourite album... It's really hard to choose 1 song from there to show somebody. The album should be listened to from front to back.

If I have to choose, I usually choose Morning on Earth... it's so beautiful.

Of course, my first recommendation is Pain of Salvation.

Also check out Fates Warning and Redemption.
Not to mention Ayreon and Star One.

Also, check out Evergrey's In Search Of Truth, and The Inner Circle albums.

And I agree with whoever said Myrath! They're fantastic, a lot like Symphony X.

Iwill have to check out Myrath, I am familiar with Redemption and I like Evergrey too, not their latest stuff though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahhh... The Perfect Element.
My favourite album... It's really hard to choose 1 song from there to show somebody. The album should be listened to from front to back.

If I have to choose, I usually choose Morning on Earth... it's so beautiful.

I agree about the Perfect Element and I'll raise you Opeth's Still Life....

Both are awsome discs full of so much emotion....

I've had Shadow Gallery (Tyranny) on my iPod for about a year and only just started getting into it something like 3 days ago. I did not expect them to be this good!

I agree they're a little bit cheesy, but I've heard and liked a lot cheesier!!
As long as music is well written and well executed then cheesiness/heaviness/theme doesn't matter so much and will be something that grows on me to fit the album. However, if something is to an extreme then it can be initially off-putting.

Well I gave The Great Escape a few more listens, and you guys were right, it is a grower. Especially the title track. I didn't think too much of it at first but I'm starting to enjoy it more and more.

^
Yes it is really a grower. And I liked it quite a bit on first listen so now I think it's a phenomenal album.