What do fellow Symphony X fans think of these prog bands?

Symphony X - If I didn't like these guys, I wouldn't be posting in this board would I? :D
Ayreon - Haven't Heard
Dream Theater - I've only Heard Six Degrees and Train of Thought, which are probably their worst albums from what I've been told, but it sounds great to me.
Angra - haven't heard
Yngwie Malmsteen - One of Michael Romeo's biggest influences so needless to say, this guy rocks.
Kamelot - eh....Im not to crazy about them
Sonata Arctica - Haven't heard
Rhapsody - haven't heard
Iced Earth - Love 'em. These guys are pretty badass. Reminds me of a cross between "old" Metallica and Iron maiden
Hammerfall - not to crazy about them either.

ADAGIO!!!! \m/ \m/

This band Rules! :)

Also I just discovered this very cool Russian Band called Mechanical Poet, amazing stuff!

Some other bands to check out, Porcupine Tree, Zero Hour, Time Requiem, Quiet Room, POS, OSI, Psychotic Waltz, Dead Soul Tribe, Andromeda, Conception, Kamelot, Twilight, Spiral Architect, Freak Kitchen, Enchant, Amaran, The Gathering....too many others to list but email or listen to my radio show for some good stuff! :)

Poison Godmachine said:
Spiral Architect (INSANE)
I agree, trule excellent band and they even teach Symphony X a think or two.

For thoose who are into the more heavy technical music here is a few bands which are a must :

Cynic - Sounds abit like allan holdsworth meets technical death metal, pure brilliance.

Spastic Ink - Supertechnical with lots of odd stuff, overall genious.

Gordian Knot - Not as technical as the bands above but more prog rock/metal with some very interesting twists.

Ok all these bands are POWER except (DT, SX, YM, Ayron) and all good Except Hammerfall...now all this talk about Adaigo is good but What about Time Requiem? This is the closest thing i have found to The symphony and i never here anyone talk about it?? WHY! CHECK THEM OUT IF YOU HAVE NOT!
justin

Coypu said:
For thoose who are into the more heavy technical music here is a few bands which are a must :

Cynic - Sounds abit like allan holdsworth meets technical death metal, pure brilliance.

Spastic Ink - Supertechnical with lots of odd stuff, overall genious.

Gordian Knot - Not as technical as the bands above but more prog rock/metal with some very interesting twists.

It's so hard to find these band's CDs. I'm pretty sure all the Cynic stuff is out of print. I can't find any Spastic Inc, and I've only been able to pick up the second Gordian Knot album.

P Waltz fans will be glad to know that they are rereleasing the albums soon! The first two evergrey albums will be rerealeased in Feb as well.

dusro2 said:
Ok all these bands are POWER except (DT, SX, YM, Ayron) and all good Except Hammerfall...now all this talk about Adaigo is good but What about Time Requiem? This is the closest thing i have found to The symphony and i never here anyone talk about it?? WHY! CHECK THEM OUT IF YOU HAVE NOT!
justin
I talked about them :)

Anyway, Richard Anderson the keyboardist of Time Requiem played on the first Adagio album Sanctus Ignis...he was also the leader of a band called Majestic...they released two albums and then the second version of Majestic pretty much became Time Requiem.

TR is very good and the whole sound revolves around the outstanding keys of RA (he is like a cross between Jens Johansen and Vitalij Kuprij) however Adagio IMO tears them up, better guitars, bass, drums and vocals and will even say that Kevin Codfert the keys for Adagio can rival just about anyone in the circuit today, he is that good!

Listen to Sanctus Ignis and Underworld from Adagio, you will be blown away. SX are still the leaders but I think Adagio will give them a hell of a run if they keep making incredible music like they have! :)

Cheers

Poison Godmachine said:
It's so hard to find these band's CDs. I'm pretty sure all the Cynic stuff is out of print. I can't find any Spastic Inc, and I've only been able to pick up the second Gordian Knot album.

P Waltz fans will be glad to know that they are rereleasing the albums soon! The first two evergrey albums will be rerealeased in Feb as well.
I bought my Focus album about a year ago, it was supereasy to find and fairly cheap (about $10), check the big internet cd sellers, I tihnk i got mine from cdon.com or similar.

a few months ago i'd say that dream theater was as good as SX, but after i spent an entire week after train of though was released puking, the only two progmetal bands that seem to matter anymore are Symphony X and Adagio. Time Requiem shold be mentioned, and they would be even higher if they stopped taking parts of every other bands songs ... still good stuff. i havent heard some other progmetal bands that i know i am long overdue to hear, so i'll get back to u guys on them, but for now, Symphony X and Adagio is it.

arglebargle said:
Man, if you think SX and Adagio are the only 2 good prog metal bands, you lead a very sheltered existance. :p

Very true. He should get out more. I like every band listed in this thread, but especially like Dream Theater and Sym X. I will even have the balls to say I love Rhapsody.:headbang:

v01c354nd51gn5 said:
a few months ago i'd say that dream theater was as good as SX, but after i spent an entire week after train of though was released puking, the only two progmetal bands that seem to matter anymore are Symphony X and Adagio. Time Requiem shold be mentioned, and they would be even higher if they stopped taking parts of every other bands songs ... still good stuff. i havent heard some other progmetal bands that i know i am long overdue to hear, so i'll get back to u guys on them, but for now, Symphony X and Adagio is it.
:tickled:

bwhahahahahahahahahahahahaha

oh dear

Please, get out more.

hahhahhahwhahahahhahahaha

Symphony X - Awesome
Ayreon - Awesome
Dream Theater - Awesome
Angra - 3rd best live performance I've ever seen
Yngwie Malmsteen (don't know if it's prog) - ick
Kamelot - not bad
Sonata Arctica - dunno
Rhapsody - Awesome but Cheesey
Iced Earth (don't know if it's prog) - dunno
Hammerfall - dunno

Dude, check out Pain of Salvation next, look at my sig =).

Poison Godmachine said:

This place has these discs and it used to have Malone's first disc but they might have sold out by now.

http://www.lasercd.com/default.asp