Have you introduced any bands to your kids? If so, is Symphony X one of them?

Prog is King

Aug 20, 2010
Marin County, NorCal USA
I'm 49 and a metalhead from way back. I have been to hundreds of shows over the years. My
daughter is 17 and my son is 10. They both like Symphony X and listen to them frequently on their iPods.
In the last few years, I have taken my daughter to a number of shows. My son went to his first
show last year. Sonata Arctica, Mutiny Within, and Powerglove. Great Show! In May we will all go to see Symphony X. I don't know who is more excited. I think it is very important to expose young people to quality music. It seems like in society these days, everything is hip hop. Some of the bands that I have introduced to them:

Symphony X
Vanden Plas
Dream Theater
Circus Maximus
Adagio
Spock's Beard
Coheed & Cambria
Sonata Arctica
Serenity
Cairo
Seventh Wonder
Pagan's Mind
Avantasia
Pain of Salvation
Rush
Racer X
Queensryche
Nightwish
Epica
Alice In Chains
Soundgarden
Trouble
Children Of Bodom
In Flames
Shadows Fall
Van Halen
Led Zeppelin
The Beatles
Pink Floyd
Queen
Boston
Black Sabbath
Ozzy
Dio
Pantera
In This Moment
Dethklok
Metallica
Megadeth
Anthrax
UFO
Steve Vai
Michael Angelo Batio
Joe Satriani
Tony MacAlpine
Yngwie Malmsteen
Eric Johnson
Stu Hamm
Paul Gilbert
Buckethead
Praxis
Planet X
Primus
Scorpions
Kiss

Plus many more.

Don't have kids yet but they'll get a musical introduction from mum & dad when we do. We'll expose them to jazz, blues, classical, rock, metal, folk music, electronic, just about everything but country and let them decide what they like.

Gotta love the excluding of country :lol:

Can't even really imagine having my own kids yet, but I do agree that exposing children to quality music is important. Neither of my parents really listen to any music, but I'm really lucky to have received good influences from my older sisters as a kid. They got me into a wide array of cool rock music already when I was less than 5 years old (I remember taking U2, Queen and Smashing Pumpkins cassettes to kindergarten) and I'm grateful for that.

Hmm... Well I'm 16 and I was introduced to good stuff like this when I was young:

Led Zeppelin
Pink Floyd
Queen
Boston
etc. etc.

My kids are still young but they do get a look at my Liquid Tension Experiment, Rush,Transatlantic, Pain of Salvation and Opeth dvds.

Getting my 8 year old an Ipod for his birthday next week and he wants some rap music... Ugh!

everything but country

Why? Country is awesome!

I don't plan on having kids, but if I did, it'd be nothing but Stockhausen, Babbitt and Schnittke from day one. It's never too early to grow the fuck up.

My kids are still young but they do get a look at my Liquid Tension Experiment, Rush,Transatlantic, Pain of Salvation and Opeth dvds.

Getting my 8 year old an Ipod for his birthday next week and he wants some rap music... Ugh!

At least buy him good rap...

Run DMC and Sugar Hill Gang...

NO LIL WAYNE ALLOWED MAN!!! :puke:
:lol::lol:

I say you just give him a bunch of epic metal :kickass:

At least buy him good rap...

Run DMC and Sugar Hill Gang...

NO LIL WAYNE ALLOWED MAN!!! :puke:
:lol::lol:

I say you just give him a bunch of epic metal :kickass:

Thanks for the suggestions we'll set him up with some of those two along with Eminem which he's asking for.

my son(3.5 yrs)jams in the car with me. I let him listen to everything I can. He listens to metal, jazz, country. I want him to get exposed to it all. Everytime we go to eat, he will pick up two straws and act like he is drumming, and twirling the sticks. haha.

I just have a 4 year-old nephew. Pantera, Dream Theater, Lennon and Symphony X ULTRA fan. Just play "F***** Hostile" and you'll lose him, heheheh :D

My son has been hearing my music since he was in the womb. He's 14 now and loves Iron Maiden, Rush, Dream Theater, Metallica and, of course, Symphony X.

I'm 49 and a metalhead from way back. I have been to hundreds of shows over the years. My
daughter is 17 and my son is 10. They both like Symphony X and listen to them frequently on their iPods.
In the last few years, I have taken my daughter to a number of shows. My son went to his first
show last year. Sonata Arctica, Mutiny Within, and Powerglove. Great Show! In May we will all go to see Symphony X. I don't know who is more excited. I think it is very important to expose young people to quality music. It seems like in society these days, everything is hip hop. Some of the bands that I have introduced to them:

Symphony X
Vanden Plas
Dream Theater
Circus Maximus
Adagio
Spock's Beard
Coheed & Cambria
Sonata Arctica
Serenity
Cairo
Seventh Wonder
Pagan's Mind
Avantasia
Pain of Salvation
Rush
Racer X
Queensryche
Nightwish
Epica
Alice In Chains
Soundgarden
Trouble
Children Of Bodom
In Flames
Shadows Fall
Van Halen
Led Zeppelin
The Beatles
Pink Floyd
Queen
Boston
Black Sabbath
Ozzy
Dio
Pantera
In This Moment
Dethklok
Metallica
Megadeth
Anthrax
UFO
Steve Vai
Michael Angelo Batio
Joe Satriani
Tony MacAlpine
Yngwie Malmsteen
Eric Johnson
Stu Hamm
Paul Gilbert
Buckethead
Praxis
Planet X
Primus
Scorpions
Kiss

Plus many more.

I haven't gotten my kid to listen to Symphony X yet cuz he's only about 2 but I did introduce a guy twice my age to listen to it lol. He is obsessed now haha.