What do fellow Symphony X fans think of these prog bands?

Kronikle66

Everybody dies alone
Oct 10, 2003
Tallahassee, Florida
Visit site
Well I haven't been into prog for nearly as long as I wanted to be but so far here's a list of bands that I've gotten into. I'd just like to see what fellow Symphony X fans also think of them. I will list them in order, favorite coming first.

Symphony X
Ayreon
Dream Theater
Angra
Yngwie Malmsteen (don't know if it's prog)
Kamelot
Sonata Arctica
Rhapsody
Iced Earth (don't know if it's prog)
Hammerfall

Well I'd just like some input and hopefully you guys can recommend me to some new bands. I'm thinking about trying Adagio, what do you guys think? Adramelch got good reviews too. I might want to try them. I would have Opeth up there but I can't stand growling. =(

-Kronikle

Symphony X - Love 'em
Ayreon - Haven't heard enough
Dream Theater - Love 'em
Angra - Haven't heard enough
Yngwie Malmsteen (don't know if it's prog) Definitely not prog, but I love him
Kamelot - I only have Epica, but I think it's a great album
Sonata Arctica - Ugh
Rhapsody - Like a couple of songs
Iced Earth (don't know if it's prog) - Haven't heard them
Hammerfall - Nah

Well, every band you listed besides Ayreon, Dream theater, and Yngwie are powermetal. My favorite of that list is Angra, I think they're really great and their guitarist is rediculously awsome. I just started to listen to Sonata Arctica. Cool melodic power stuff, plus once again, awsome guitarist. Rhapsody...good music shit lyrics. Hammerfall is eh. Iced Earth and Kamelot I never got into but I like what Ive heard from IE. I love Yngwie, especially his first 3 albums. Ayreon is a weird one cause a lot of his albums don't sound very similar but I really like Flight of the Migrator (the one with Russ and Romeo on it). I'm not a fan of anything Dream Theater has done past A Change of Seasons, aside from some stuff on Scenes.

Symphony X- love um, of course
Ayreon- dont know
Dream Theater- of course, there good
Angra- also like them
Yngwie Malmsteen- yep
Kamelot- also like them
Sonata Arctica- havent heard
Rhapsody- havent heard
Iced Earth (don't know if it's prog)- like them
Hammerfall- heard good things of them, does that count?

Kronikle66 said:
Symphony X - Most incredible band on the planet.
Ayreon - Innovative and intersting (must be in the right mood)
Dream Theater - Great band but I can't stand the singer :)
Angra - Love this band
Yngwie Malmsteen (don't know if it's prog) Talented, but bores me after awhile
Kamelot - Awesome, love this band
Sonata Arctica - Just OK
Rhapsody - I don't like 'em
Iced Earth (don't know if it's prog) Not familiar with enough to form an honest opinion
Hammerfall - Some good, some lame
Shadow Gallery - Great studio band, but they never play live. Good songs

-Kronikle

Symphony X - no comment (you all know how good this one is)
Ayreon - great!
Dream Theater - "Images & Words" album rocks!
Angra - I liked the "Rebirth" album they made
Yngwie Malmsteen - Rising Force!!!
Kamelot - fantastic!!!
Sonata Arctica - great!
Rhapsody - I like some of they're albums (though i think this band is too much sometimes)
Iced Earth - "Something Wicked This Way Comes" kills!
Hammerfall - sucks!
Adagio - excelent!!!
Hint!
You say you can't stand Opeth cause the growling vocals... then you may wanna try the new album of Opeth called "Damnation" there's no growling at all, like the other albums. This album is mellow. It's Progressive Rock & it's a killer!

Symphony X-Great, obviously
Ayreon-Great, amazing concept albums and varied sound.
Dream Theater-Great, consistently put out huge, technical albums with excellent lyrics.
Angra-Good, but not a huge fan of the song writing.
Yngwie Malmsteen-Good, but quite a few crap songs amidst the good ones.
Kamelot-Alright, Can't get into them although some of the songs are rather good.
Sonata Arctica-Alright, always going so fast, can get repetitive.
Rhapsody-Good, Funny lyrics and embarassing to tell people about, but good, epic music.
Iced Earth-Great, new CD is absolutely killer.
Hammerfall-Great, total enthusiasm really shines through here.
Shadow Gallery-Don't like the lead singer.

as was said though, most of these bands aren't prog at all hehe.

Symphony X... Who?
Ayreon... Awesome
Dream Theater... I never really got too much into them for whatever reason
Angra... Just got "Rebirth" and I like it a lot
Yngwie Malmsteen (don't know if it's prog)... Check my name
Kamelot... Awesome
Sonata Arctica... haven't heard enough to really decide
Rhapsody... meh
Iced Earth (don't know if it's prog)... love em, they got me into metal
Hammerfall... haven't heard anything

Iced Earth are not prog and Hammerfall either. I also wouldn't call Rhapsody prog when they are a typical power metal band with symphonic pieces. Btw, I would recommend Adagio's Underworld. I love it!

Symphony X --mmm, yummy
Ayreon -- cool space metal w00t..
Dream Theater -- Metropolis kicks ass
Angra -- no clue
Yngwie Malmsteen (don't know if it's prog)- "progress" isnt in Yngwies dictionary, sounds the same from 20 years ago , but I still :worship:
Kamelot -- no clue
Sonata Arctica -- meh is all ill say
Rhapsody -- no clue
Iced Earth (don't know if it's prog) - not prog at all. just heavy metal. DARK SAGA OWNS
Hammerfall -- no clue
Adagio -- Best I've heard since SyX, absolutely a must check out band..I pray everyday they come to the US...I per ordered Underworld like 4 months in advance, paid 2x its sticker price, and you know what? I would have paid 10x more.. :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

ill definatly check out the ones I have no clue on though...

Symphony X - my current favorite band
Ayreon - real cool, mellow stuff.. good music to listen to when I'm not in the mood for something extremely technical or heavy
Dream Theater - Images and Words kicks my ass. Their new stuff is ok.
Angra - Haven't heard much, but not bad from the few songs I heard. I'm not a big fan of that style of vocals.
Yngwie Malmsteen (don't know if it's prog) - Very influential guitarist, saw him at G3 recently but Vai blew him away. Yngwie's problem is his tendency to repeat what he plays over and over with every album.
Kamelot - Great music, I don't like the vocals too much.
Sonata Arctica - See Kamelot, but more so with the vocals.
Rhapsody - Good stuff. Cheesy but I'm not a lyric guy.
Iced Earth - Kick Ass! This band is awesome. Alive in Athens is one of my most listened to albums right now.
Hammerfall - See Kamelot.

SymphonyX = The Best Band of Progressive Metal period. o_O
Ayreon = Good but many guys on the projects i dont like that. :erk:
Dream Theater = "Awake" was their last decent album. :ill:
Angra = Never into them
Yngwie Malmsteen = "Rising Force", "Trilogy" and "Concerto Suite": Masterpieces o_O . The other ones are shit. :erk:
Kamelot = The Best Band of Power Metal Period. Roy Khan = :worship:
Sonata Arctica = Mechanical and Repetitive :ill:
Rhapsody = Their first album is amazing...the others :Chessy lyrics and never ending concept, bad musicians IMO :ill:
Iced Earth = Not my stuff :err:
Hammerfall = Bad Band Dont like them at all :erk:
Adagio = The New Hope of Progressive and Neoclassical¡¡¡ :cool:

Symphony X- DUH :loco:
Ayreon- the songs Star One did on the live DVD were awesome
Dream Theater- oh you know, their cool and stuff, but whatever. Pretty much anything before Scenes rocked my world
Angra- meh
Yngwie Malmsteen (don't know if it's prog)- wouldn't know
Kamelot- Karma rules!
Sonata Arctica- these guys totally KILL
Rhapsody- I like them...I don't LOVE them, I LIKE them
Iced Earth (don't know if it's prog)- totally crush kill destroy \m/
Hammerfall- wouldn't know

Symphony X :lol:
Ayreon- ?????????????
Dream Theater - Awesome
Angra - ????????????
Yngwie Malmsteen - :bah:
Kamelot - ??????????
Sonata Arctica - ???????
Rhapsody - ????????????????????
Iced Earth - See signature. \m/
Hammerfall - Ick :ill:
Adagio - Fucking Awesome.

I really like Symphony X, Dream Theater, Ayreon (from what I've heard), and Yngwie. I haven't heard enough of the others to have an opinion.

Oh, and you should really check out Adagio. Very awesome band.

Kronikle66 said:
Well I haven't been into prog for nearly as long as I wanted to be but so far here's a list of bands that I've gotten into. I'd just like to see what fellow Symphony X fans also think of them. I will list them in order, favorite coming first.

Symphony X
Ayreon
Dream Theater
Angra
Yngwie Malmsteen (don't know if it's prog)
Kamelot
Sonata Arctica
Rhapsody
Iced Earth (don't know if it's prog)
Hammerfall

Well I'd just like some input and hopefully you guys can recommend me to some new bands. I'm thinking about trying Adagio, what do you guys think? Adramelch got good reviews too. I might want to try them. I would have Opeth up there but I can't stand growling. =(

-Kronikle
Symphony X- Of course
Ayreon- haven't heard enough
Dream Theater- pretty good on occasion
Angra- newest album (Rebirth) is awesome, but don't care for most of the small amount of older stuff I have heard. (I consider them prog)
Malmsteen-haven't really heard his stuff but know it must be good neoclassical shredding.
Kamelot-haven't heard them
Sonata Arctica-they are ok, only have newest album though (more proggy in an epic kind of way with heavy power metal influences)
Rhapsody-newest album "Power of Dragonflame" is cool, but I don't like their stuff before too much. PoD much more guitar heavy than others.
Iced Earth-good heavy metal but you only need "Something Wicked this Way Comes" and maybe "Dark Saga" and you have all their songs. They reuse the same riffs over and over and the all the acoustic songs they have done sound almost identical.
Hammerfall-never cared....not really into the "pure metal" stuff

Anyway....YES! Get Adagio! not just the new "Underworld" but also the older "Sanctus Ignis". Adagio is becoming one of my favorite all time bands (too bad it took them forever to make Underworld because we will prob wait another 3 yrs. for new material). Underworld is my favorite album of 2003! Also, if you like Sonata Arctica I think Nightwish sounds a lot the same, just with opera vocals. Also, Zero Hour is very good and is releasing a new album in the very near future, and the guitarist said he is actually almost done writing the material for the album after it so it will release shortly after the new one! They have been silent for about 2 or 3 years now and only have one and a half albums so far so this is good news. One more I recommend is Pain of Salvation, I won't explain, just try em' out!