So, what other bands do you Symphony X fans enjoy?

Well other than symphonyx theres:

DreamTheater
Rhapsody
Sonata Arctica
Inflames
Stratovarius
Dimmu Borgir
Kamelot
Cradle of Filth
Tool
Nightwish
Y Malmsteen
Kansas? yeah gotta lovem
Orphaned Land
Iced Earth
Ozzy
Darkane
queensryche
finntroll
Sinergy
children of bodom
lacuna coil
Liquid Tension Experiment
arch enemy
dragonlord
jag panzer
iron savior
power symphony
soil
into eternity
killswitch engage
kalmah
nevermore
hammerfall
morifade
iron maiden
cky
queen
pink floyd

and out of all those bands i only bought symphonyx albums

Taliwakker said:
Guy is \m/ he shits blocks of steel......i like him....but he's just a little too 'hard core' for my liking......What about Shannon......i bet you think the clit tickler on his chin is dead sexy right?

hmm the mental images of Guy shitting blocks of steel.... I agree the man is one badass mofo, t0tally br00tal!!! All you non Aussies dont know what youre missing.

As for Shannons clit tickler.. I am seriously flabbergasted, shocked and umm.. depuritanized (is that even a word?) as to how you could suggest such a thing could be used in that way .. (but now that I've thought about it.. hmm.. *scratches chin*, do you think I could teach him to learn to love metal?)

Once I filled in this list of bands and groups I like on the Kamelot forum, they all started to laugh....

Dream Theater
Kamelot
Symphony X
Angra
Thunderstone
Ayreon
Sonata Arctica
Evergrey
Adagio
Circus Maximus
Fear Factory
Jason Becker
Opeth
Soilwork
Mirrorstone
Spiral Architect
My bro's (guitar) music (lets say he has a style which is a mix of malmsteen, forté and romeo)

Klaus Badelt
Outkast
Sugababes
NERD
Trijntje Oosterhuis (who?)
Bløf (who?)
80's music
Mozart
Bach
Beethoven

etc etc etc

I think I'm a different kind of X fan. I actually don't like any other prog or power metal, almost to the point of hating it. I like old Dream Theater I guess, but that's the only other prog I like. However, I do like prog death or tech thrash (ie, spastic ink).

Anyway, I am more of an 80's thrash type dude, and I used to like death metal and still like a bit of it. I also like a lot of guitar solo stuff and some fusion. Anyway here are some of my fav albums.

Metallica- kill em all
Exodus - bonded by blood
Megadeth - Peace Sells, RIP
Slayer- show no mercy
Antrhax- Among the Living
SX- all but the first one
King Diamond- damn near all albums
Mercyful Fate- ditto
Opeth- Still Life, Deliverance, Damnation
Morbid Angel- Domination, Formulas Fatal to the Flesh, Heretic
Nevermore- all albums
Metal Church- Metal church
Death- all

Al DiMeola- Elegant Gypsy, Splendido Hotel, but all his other stuff is pretty good too
Alex DeGrassi- Windam Hill Retrospective is great
Marty Friedman- Dragon's Kiss, Scenes
Jason Becker- Perpetual Burn
Tony MacAlpine- Maximum Security (Autumn Lords!!!)
MVP- Centrifugal Funk
MVP- Truth in Shredding (Rocks!)

That's all I can think of right now, and it seems accurate to me because these are the CD's that are rotated in and out of my car all the time.

You have good taste in music, Satanic Rabbit, most of what you listed are bands that I prefer as well. I am a big fan of progressive metal even though most of it gets too damn nerdy. Yet I still enjoy a lot of it. And where I agree with you most, Rabbit, is preferring tech/prog. death or thrash. Technical metal in my own opinion, is far better than anything progressive. Watchtower are the kings. But, my list is still diverse.

Control Denied
Cynic
Death(My favorite)
Spastic Ink
Dark Tranquility
Opeth
Borknagar
Winds
Arcturus
Joe Satriani
Cacophony
Yngwie Malmsteen
Liquid Tension Experiment
Rush(My favorite)
Yes
Allan Holdsworth
Symphony X
Dream Theater(Mainly "Images and Words")
Morbid Angel(Hail Pete Sandoval)
Novembre
Devin Townsend("Terria" is one of the best albums ever written)
Pink Floyd
Dio
Judas Priest
Kiss
Iron Maiden
Al DiMeola

... and I couldn't even begin to name the rest.

Oh my God ... I left out Megadeth. "Peace Sells ... But Who's Buying" and "Rust in Peace" are nothing short of phenomenal. Forgive me Dave Mustaine.

It's funny how people get something out of bashing other bands. What is wrong with Evanescense, Avril and everything else you just bashed? Is it because it's overplayed? That doesn't make the music bad.
Because it's mainstream? Oh, you all wanna be soooo underground, huh?
Or do you actually have some kind of musical knowledge and are able to tell that the music they make is poorly made, out of tune, out of beat and so on? I bet some of you may do, but most people who trash other bands just do it because... hell, I have no idea why you do it. God knows I've had my days too but then I realized it was dumb because I had no real reason for it. Just the simple fact that one doesn't like the style in music doesn't justify it. I'm just wondering.

Anyway, here's my list, which no one will care about since they will be too busy being upset about what I just wrote, or ignore me completely just because I said that they would react. You decide...

And sorry about the attitude, we're all nothing but human

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

TOTO (da sheit)
Queensryche
most things w Jorn Lande
Genesis
Dream Theater (minus James LaBrie)
Jim Steinman (everything he's ever written)
Valensia
Mr.Mister
Dio (+ what he did in Rainbow and Sabbath)
everything Russell sings on
Rush
Prince
Mind's Eye
most things Arjen has written
Queen (where it all began)
and what not... so much that is so good out there

SR wrote
As for Shannons clit tickler.. I am seriously flabbergasted, shocked and umm.. depuritanized (is that even a word?) as to how you could suggest such a thing could be used in that way .. (but now that I've thought about it.. hmm.. *scratches chin*, do you think I could teach him to learn to love metal?)

Firstly i am honoured that i could be the one to depuritanise your sweet self....

as for Shannon......he's never gonna love metal...he's a country boy through and through...its all about the land and the kelpie and doing doughies in his ute i'm afraid.

Macy said:
It's funny how people get something out of bashing other bands. What is wrong with Evanescense, Avril and everything else you just bashed? Is it because it's overplayed? That doesn't make the music bad.
Or do you actually have some kind of musical knowledge and are able to tell that the music they make is poorly made, out of tune, out of beat and so on? I bet some of you may do, but most people who trash other bands just do it because... hell, I have no idea why you do it. God knows I've had my days too but then I realized it was dumb because I had no real reason for it. Just the simple fact that one doesn't like the style in music doesn't justify it. I'm just wondering.

go maci, i fuckin hear that... even tho i really can't stand avril, she just irritates the piss outa me

Guitarmaster said:
Oh my God ... I left out Megadeth. "Peace Sells ... But Who's Buying" and "Rust in Peace" are nothing short of phenomenal. Forgive me Dave Mustaine.
Better go to the megadeth boards and apologize there! :D

Oh, since Avril was brought up. The only problem I have with her is the whole image thing. I mean, she is suppose to be this badass chick, but really how is she different than any other pop rock chick? When I heard of her I thought her music may be really heavy and I thought it would be cool, but then I heard her and you can just plug her songs straight into any chick flick and there you go. If I hear that Brittany Murphy theme song one more time I'm gonna....:puke:

other than SymX, one of my other favorite bands has got to be Mercenary...their stuff just kicks ass :headbang: , not exactly complex, but awesome none the less. If you havent heard them go to their site and download their new song...i forget the name, but its really good.

I listen to alot of different stuff.

Some of my other favorite bands are:
Iced Earth
Children of Bodom
In Flames
Megadeth
Finntroll
Skyfire
Kalmah
Nightwish
Evergrey
Nevermore
Arch Enemy
Emperor
Dream Theater
Strapping Young Lad
Devin Townsend Band
Slayer
Iron Maiden

and many many more.

Tali: as for Shannon......he's never gonna love metal...he's a country boy through and through...its all about the land and the kelpie and doing doughies in his ute i'm afraid.

You dont drive a Ute do you Tali? I've never been a fan of the whole Occa thing.

Macy: What is wrong with Evanescense, Avril and everything else you just bashed? Is it because it's overplayed? That doesn't make the music bad.

Evanescence, I like far less after it got 'popular' because yes I am a sheep of the 101 rules of metal (anything mainstream sucks). Seriously I do like Amy Lee's voice very much, but for music I far prefer more technical \m/ style.

As for Avril (and the others I mentioned) my own personal opinion is this: These 'artists' are put in place as the music industries way of acting "rebellious" so as to cater to the angst-filled teens with a mass-marketing strategy to make more mulah. Being overplayed isnt what makes it shit, its the lack of substance that went into it that does.

With saying that, I don't really think all 'mainstream' music is shit, If I go to a pub and they're playing Aussie Rock, I show my patriotism by rocking alongside it etc (it could also have something to do with being drunk, but who cares, its fun). I also actually dig people singing the old classic Sinatra songs etc (more than Sinatra himself in fact), so I love the whole Big Band sort of deal.

Well my favorite band is by far Requiem but I listen not only one kind of metal.

I listen mainly: Pain of Salvation, Freak Kitchen, Angra, In Flames, SA, Stratovarius, Helloween, Hammerfall, Fates Warning, Ring of Fire, Kamelot, Entwine, Soilwork, Avantasia, EdGuy, and that's for name a few ;) because "I really don't think ppl will read tons of names" :D

1. Avril is crap because she can't pull off her mediocre songs live.....from what i've seen on award shows anyway.

2.I like shitloads of bands but these are the standouts

VAN HALEN
Devin Townsend
PoS
Faith No More/Mr Bungle
Jorn Lande stuff
Ayreon
Soilwork
Freak Kitchen
T-Ride
Bumblefoot
Holdsworth
Vai
Tool
Transatlantic
Sabbath (up until Cross Purposes)

Taliwakker: Sabbath (up until Cross Purposes)

Hey Cross Purposes was not that bad (if a bit soft-rock for my tastes, but Tonys voice is still flawless so theres quite a few songs on it I like).. the worst album was forbidden.. holy shit did BS screw Tony over with that one!!!

Taliwakker: Nup...i drive a crappy red Holden Astra....and streuth, i thought a top sheila like yourself would like a bloke with a bit of the mongrel in 'im

:lol:

I'll just go through my top 10:

Dream Theater
Symphony X
Screaming Headless Torsos
Opeth
Meshuggah(surprised that only 1 or 2 people mentioned these guys)
Zero 7
KIF
Tool
Alice in Chains
The Meters

@Satriani- that's fuckin awesome that you know of and like the Torsos man! The only people I know who like em are my friends and I. You know they're back together, touring and recording a new album and Fuze's material has gotten so sick \m/>_<\m/! You should check out KIF (it's on my list). It's one of Fuze's side projects. Guitar, cello and drums with occasional guest instruments.