Your top 5 Prog Metal bands

i love these threads, coz i know shite about prog metal bands and i need to find out what to d/l. so far my fav's that i have heard are..
1. Sym X
2. Adagio
3. Evergrey

and bloody hell prog metal is hard to find on kazaa. this list will surely change as i listen to alot more stuff from different bands.

Mr. Shred-ididle said:
Opeth & Cynic are not straght prog!
Could you explain why? If you're going to say "because they have growling vocals" that's stupid. There's no reason why there shouldn't be growling in prog.

One of the best things about progressive rock/metal is that there is no such thing as "straight-up prog". This is because, to be genuinely progessive, a band has to be original and their sound has to be changing with each album. Two bands can sound totally different and still both be prog.

PS - to all those who said "Adagio", there is nothing progressive about cloning other bands. :p

I find towers a bit to ehh, repititious. Its complex, proggy as prog can get - but they repeat the same type of riff with the heavy bass-drum BOOM with some technical guitar part in between.

But i know it's supposed to be that way to make it more"mechanical" sounding (hence the concept of the album)

I'm looking foward to their next album

And Kate bush rulz, lighten up a bit. I was only having a joke.

Kate Bush Rules! said:
One of the best things about progressive rock/metal is that there is no such thing as "straight-up prog". This is because, to be genuinely progessive, a band has to be original and their sound has to be changing with each album. Two bands can sound totally different and still both be prog.

I thought I was the only one who thought this way. I agree to 100%. :D

Mr. Shred-ididle said:
I find towers a bit to ehh, repititious. Its complex, proggy as prog can get - but they repeat the same type of riff with the heavy bass-drum BOOM with some technical guitar part in between.

But i know it's supposed to be that way to make it more"mechanical" sounding (hence the concept of the album)

I'm looking foward to their next album

So, what are you trying to say?

Opeth
Emperor
Devin Townsend
Ark
Arcturus

No order , and each of those bands are far more prog' than Sx or Dt .

Btw , 'Prog Metal' like 'Death Metal' or 'Thrash Metal' do suck . Only the music , only..

Mr. Shred-ididle said:
And Kate bush rulz, lighten up a bit. I was only having a joke.
Sorry, I'm just sick of all these fake prog fans who think that a band is prog just because they're technical. These are the types of music fans who think that bands that sound like a so-called "progressive" band are also progressive (Adagio), and the truly progressive bands (e.g. Cynic) are put elsewhere just because they don't sound like Dream Theater or some prog-influenced power metal band (Symphony X).

Kate Bush Rules! said:
Sorry, I'm just sick of all these fake prog fans who think that a band is prog just because they're technical. These are the types of music fans who think that bands that sound like a so-called "progressive" band are also progressive (Adagio), and the truly progressive bands (e.g. Cynic) are put elsewhere just because they don't sound like Dream Theater or some prog-influenced power metal band (Symphony X).

Don't sweat it,:tickled: I should really cheack Opeth Out - what album do you suggest?

hmm... I wouldn't say that SyX are power metal with prog "influences" ANYMORE, They used to be I'll admit. Now I think they're more Heavy Prog Metal. Heheh.... now thats technicality for you

1.Sympohny X
2.Dream Theater
3.Angra
4.Pain Of Slavation
5.Kamelot

i hope that's alright

Mr. Shred-ididle said:
Don't sweat it,:tickled: I should really cheack Opeth Out - what album do you suggest?

hmm... I wouldn't say that SyX are power metal with prog "influences" ANYMORE, They used to be I'll admit. Now I think they're more Heavy Prog Metal. Heheh.... now thats technicality for you

start with blackwater park

btw.

i cant believe all the pain of salvation bashing! i think they are fabulous talented musicans

Some people would say that Ayreon isn't a band, but Arjen is #1 and the epicenter of my musical universe.

Oh Yes!!!!!!!!! :hotjump: :D

As for the bands:

Dream Theater
Andromeda
Pain of Salvation
Pagans Mind
Meshuggah

(this is the current 5)