The future of Nu Metal

dargormudshark said:
You do have a point,but it's still just aposer thing. Kids like them for the same reason kids like Kiss, make-up. They don't really like or even know anything about the music. The reason they liked Blink 182 is because they were popular.

Judging from the crowd I saw at the Iced Earth shows, Bodom is developing a bit of a poser crowd here too. Basically any band that starts having their t shirts sold in hot topic winds up generating a poser following here in the US. Thats just how it goes. Thats ok though, us real metalheads know whats up, and we'll always be there to kick the posers sorry asses in the pits at concerts :lol: ;)

note: I try to avoid pits myself, but I have heard stories of real metal dudes dishing it out to hardcore posers during moshes...and I will never pass up the chance to suckerpunch one of them if they happen to pass over my head as they're chucked over the railing.

Yngvai X said:
Judging from the crowd I saw at the Iced Earth shows, Bodom is developing a bit of a poser crowd here too. Basically any band that starts having their t shirts sold in hot topic winds up generating a poser following here in the US. Thats just how it goes. Thats ok though, us real metalheads know whats up, and we'll always be there to kick the posers sorry asses in the pits at concerts :lol: ;)

note: I try to avoid pits myself, but I have heard stories of real metal dudes dishing it out to hardcore posers during moshes...and I will never pass up the chance to suckerpunch one of them if they happen to pass over my head as they're chucked over the railing.
how do you know if someone is a poser? someone who's young wearing a bandshirt?? what's wrong with it if they enjoy the music without really knowing anything about it? I'm 17, not looking like a metalhead at ALL (except sometimes metallica or symphony x t-shirt). does that make me a poser?:Smug:

karelrulez said:
how do you know if someone is a poser? someone who's young wearing a bandshirt?? what's wrong with it if they enjoy the music without really knowing anything about it? I'm 17, not looking like a metalhead at ALL (except sometimes metallica or symphony x t-shirt). does that make me a poser?:Smug:

www.hottopic.com

go there. Look at how people look on that site. That is a poser. Someone who follows the stupid Slipknot mallgoth shit and thinks thats "tough" or "hardcore" (or "metal"...ha).

karelrulez said:
You just know. I am young too (just 18), and I don't usually wear metal t-shirts or anything. Nevertheless, in concerts you can tell by the attitude who is an asshola and who isn't. You know, it's mostly about attitude, not clothing or age (although I must agree that 99% of the posers are young, and that half the young people are posers).

SevenString said:
if Symphony-X were mainstream in the US, that wouldn't make me stop listening... it would just mean that the collective IQ of this country just increased DRASTICALLY. They certainly DESERVE to be mainstream, but people are just too damned ignorant.
If you look at the history of music business, you can easily see (with the exception of a few artists / bands who had extreme talent and were fortunate enough to write a CATCHY HIT or two), it's not about true talent, it's more image and visual appeal (thank MTV for that one).
Prog fans can see through the bullshit. It's more an awareness of what's real and what is deceptive manipulation by the industry and the media. How many of us give a damn about what anybody else thinks of the music we're into? It's seems like we just had a chance to really experience and appreciate true talent on a different level. Some people are intimidated by that. I've been outright told that I and my family could be going to hell for listening to devil worship music (they were speaking of Symphony X, BTW). Now, THAT is the epitomy of ignorance, and I simply dismiss it as such.
And, PLEASE, don't anyone start on the "Prog elitist" thing again. :yell:
Nu-Metal, Old-Metal, whatever.....if they can profit enough on it, it will remain, if not, they will just find another Nirvana or something till they can suck the life out of it. o_O
Damn, I'm on a roll. I'm outa here. :headbang:

OfSinsAndShred said:
Crap... whatever. I just remembered it as "that song with the moderately cool bass riff."
Hehe... well spoken. Crazy Town were (or are? Who cares? Not me!) one of the definite low points of Nu Metal, itself one of the low points of all music. "Revolving Door" war even worse than "Butterfly"... ladies come, ladies go, ah´m ah revolvin doah... :yuk:
arglebargle said:
I have a feeling that melodeath will eventually become the next nu-metal.
Either that, or this "Metalcore" stuff Killswitch Engage, Devildriver etc. are being labeled as. I don´t like either, so I could hardly care less.

I think the point remains that no matter what is in the mainstream, whether it's good or not, there will still be something for the underground elitists to listen to.

The Stormbringer said:
Hehe... well spoken. Crazy Town were (or are? Who cares? Not me!) one of the definite low points of Nu Metal, itself one of the low points of all music. "Revolving Door" war even worse than "Butterfly"... ladies come, ladies go, ah´m ah revolvin doah... :yuk:
Either that, or this "Metalcore" stuff Killswitch Engage, Devildriver etc. are being labeled as. I don´t like either, so I could hardly care less.
hahaha check out the new Killswitch video, it's hilarious :D
the face of that singer when he's screaming is TOO funny, and how about that guitar player :D :D :D

The fact that the definition of what is considered mainstream changes every few years proves not only that people have short attention spans, but that one of the primary functions of commercial music is for it to rebelled against. That said, I think the concept of an underground movement should be defined by what it aims for rather than by what it opposes.

Demonspell said:
The fact that the definition of what is considered mainstream changes every few years proves not only that people have short attention spans, but that one of the primary functions of commercial music is for it to rebelled against. That said, I think the concept of an underground movement should be defined by what it aims for rather than by what it opposes.
This is essentially what i was getting at with my comment. It pisses me off how people are like "oh, i don't know if i would like this band if they became mainstream". The fuck kind of thinking is that? Do you like the band because you like their music or do you like them because you are just as bad as the "mainstream" kids but just with underground shit?

theodyssey said:
This is essentially what i was getting at with my comment. It pisses me off how people are like "oh, i don't know if i would like this band if they became mainstream". The fuck kind of thinking is that? Do you like the band because you like their music or do you like them because you are just as bad as the "mainstream" kids but just with underground shit?
The fuck kind of thinking on my part is that if SymX or any other "non-popular" band I find appealing were to become mainstream, they would be defined by a record label, rather than by their talent. I wouldn't want that shit. I would want the band (whatever band, not just SymX) to stay true to their musical talents because that's what I listen to, not the pre-formed or otherwise directed shit that music labels dictate from a slave artist.

Furthermore, the "mainstream" music only lasts, as others have put it, six months at the most. So we would only have six months of SymX before they're dumped by the label and their careers are over. I wouldn't want that to happen either.

Thankfully, I don't see many, if any, of the artists I listen to (not being elitist, just stating my tastes) going that route. One famous example does come to mind, but I won't mention Lars' name here.

Well, some make it more than six months. But here's what happens when a band "hits the big time"......the pressure to maintain is what almost always does them in, and pressure from the company to deliver a better product than the last (it's a business, a great big money machine) often suppresses artistic freedom. This will often affect the creative process and all goes sour, either quickly or agonizingly slow. That's the way it is, I've seen it firsthand. Some make it, though out of luck or super strong will. But heavy touring, promotion, and time schedules will break the will, as well. I truly think the guys in SymX are very intelligent and aware as to not allow themselves to fall into a bad spiral with their careers. However, they and other great prog metal bands deserve the very best they can get in return for what they offer and the work they put into it. Money, fame, fortune, the whole nine yards. But.....it's a very fine line, and like the saying goes "the higher the climb, the harder the fall".
I'm not saying every music company is like this. John, I believe you are one of the few who understands and respects artistic talent for more than profit, and I admire you for that.

Pharoah said:
Well, some make it more than six months. But here's what happens when a band "hits the big time"......the pressure to maintain is what almost always does them in, and pressure from the company to deliver a better product than the last (it's a business, a great big money machine) often suppresses artistic freedom. This will often affect the creative process and all goes sour, either quickly or agonizingly slow. That's the way it is, I've seen it firsthand. Some make it, though out of luck or super strong will. But heavy touring, promotion, and time schedules will break the will, as well. I truly think the guys in SymX are very intelligent and aware as to not allow themselves to fall into a bad spiral with their careers. However, they and other great prog metal bands deserve the very best they can get in return for what they offer and the work they put into it. Money, fame, fortune, the whole nine yards. But.....it's a very fine line, and like the saying goes "the higher the climb, the harder the fall".
I'm not saying every music company is like this. John, I believe you are one of the few who understands and respects artistic talent for more than profit, and I admire you for that.
Very well put, sir. Very well put.