The Definitive masterpieces of prog metal

Alexander TG

The literate drummer
Mar 23, 2003
E. London
Visit site
What are those prog metal albums that should be in everyone's collection, the undying classics that may one day be noticed by the oblivious general public as works of art for the 21st century, yeah right. Only grade A material need apply.

1) Symphony X - Divine Wings - Kicked off the whole neo-prog-classical thing and I consider it THE neo-classical album, quite simply divine.

2) Dream Theater - Images and words - May not be everyone's cup of tea but it was the one the started the prog metal revolution and in my opinion a great album, less demanding than scenes, DT's best work.

3) Eternity X - The Edge - Little known gem but quite possibly the best prog metal cd ever, a very emotional concept album with jaw dropping musicianship and beautiful melodies, better than operation mindcrime, if you get one album this life get this for fuck sake.

Keep um coming, I wanna see if there is any I don't have.

My 3 would be

1. Symphony X - V The New Mytholy Suite

The masterpiece that combines power, melody, energy and a lot of other things.

2. Spiral Architect - A sceptic's unverse - Music from another world. A sci-fi metal. Complex, elaborate, superb music.

3. ARK - Burn the sun Excellent work, guys have their style, and have created a real worthy thing.

I would say:

1) SymphonyX - either "Divine Wings..." or "V". Both are absolute masterpieces.

2) Fates Warning - No Exit. This album is just awesome!

3) Dream Theater - Images and Words. Haven't heard this one in a few years, but it was definitely a classic and as Alex said, revolutionary to prog metal.

cover2.jpg

Green Carnation - LOD,DOD

Dream Theater - I+W

Queensryche - O:M

Sym X - V

Opeth - Blackwater Park/Morningrise/Still Life/MAYH

Rush - "Caress Of Steel"
The very first progressive metal album IMO. It bridges the gap and showcases the transition between prog rock and prog metal quite beautifully.

Symphony X - "Twilight In Olympus"
Their most progressive album and their most flawless; although they're all gems irregardless(save the first of course).

Sieges Even - "A Sense Of Change"
A solidly perfect 100/100 progressive rock/metal album(or as near perfect as you can get). Fucking flawless production too.:cool:

Vanden Plas - Beyond Daylight

A fucking masterpiece; beautiful stratospheric melodies, melodic riffs, memorable songs... amazing stuff.

Arcturus - The Sham Mirrors

One of the weirdest and most rewarding prog metal albums I've ever heard... deep, intricate, bizarre.

Green Carnation - Light Of Day, Day Of Darkness

Not merely an album... a musical journey. Fantastic.

Symphony X - V

Well duh.

I choose...

1. Symphony X - The Odyssey
2. Symphony X - The Divine Wings Of Tragedy
3. Dream Theater - Images And Words (or A Change Of Seasons if that one is an really album?)
4. Kenziner - The Prophecies

well,
Symphony X - The Oddyssey, V or DWoT...there all equivilently amazing, but i think The Oddyssey is just tops,

DT - Images & Words. Even tho i prefure Awake, I&W had much more of a influence and is more influential, it also started the whole 90's prog revolution

Opeth - Blackwater Park. One of the most beautiful music I've heard, words don't and cant describe the feeling i get when listetning to it.

Evergrey - Recreation Day. It drips of dark beauty and the music is quite technical, but still very song orientated.

But thats just in prog, there are many albums in other genres that are also masterpeices

Pain of Salvation - The Perfect Element

Opeth - Still Life

Mekong Delta - Kaleidoscope

Arcturus - La Masquerade Infernale

Psychotic Waltz - A Social Grace

blah blah blah.. yeah i GUESS dt's images and words, only coz dt is 'the benchmark for all prog metal' (got that from my 101 rules of prog metal :D ) ..

my personal favorites would be

1. Opeth's Still Life (MOST DEFINATELY)

2. Syx's Divine Wings and

3. Syx's V

tries to think of other album that ive heard which i would stick in that category.. im thinking i need to give cynic another shot now that i can handle harsh vox better.