Recomend me some prog metal.

supposing a "friend of mine" found that Threshold song that Phanto posted the video for to be pretty crappy.....would it be worth it for me...I mean my friend to check out anything else of theirs or is it fair to assume that the rest of their stuff would be found to be equally non-enjoyable?

well the video is shortened. actually lacks one of my favorite parts of that song. It's actually a pretty epic track I think.

but if you... err.. that friend of yours didn't like it.. hmmm.. Maybe check their older stuff back when they had Damien Wilson on vocals, I guess they sound a bit different then. and if you don't like them then either, I'd pass on em.

Dream Theater has nothing on Threshold? How about being able to write a song that hasn't been done 100 times before? I'm pretty sure that their musical abilities/skills are much higher as well... oh, and I'm pretty sure Dream Theater can put on a better 2 and a half hour show... for a tour.

Dream Theater has nothing on Threshold? How about being able to write a song that hasn't been done 100 times before? I'm pretty sure that their musical abilities/skills are much higher as well... oh, and I'm pretty sure Dream Theater can put on a better 2 and a half hour show... for a tour.

As far as songwriting goes, I think Threshold takes the cake. DT may have the technical skills, and although I love them so (especially Myung), they do have their songwriting weaknesses.

As far as songwriting goes, I think Threshold takes the cake. DT may have the technical skills, and although I love them so (especially Myung), they do have their songwriting weaknesses.

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but I was merely speaking in the sense that Threshold writes music with very basic progressions, and using melodies that have been done 100 times before. They aren't very creative in any way, IMO. Dream Theater aren't always the best songwriters, I'll give you that, but at least they create some original stuff.

Dream Theater- Awake
Outworld
Shining Star
Rob Rock
Eternity X
Echo's of Eternity

Just to name a few.
DON'T YOU EVER EVER EVER USE ECHOES OF ETERNITY AS A RECOMMENDATION!!!!

And you forgot...

Vanden Plas
Circus Maximus
Dream Theater Side Projects

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but I was merely speaking in the sense that Threshold writes music with very basic progressions, and using melodies that have been done 100 times before. They aren't very creative in any way, IMO. Dream Theater aren't always the best songwriters, I'll give you that, but at least they create some original stuff.
lol... You are aware that Dream Theater recycles albums worth of riffs, whilst Threshold writes completely new stuff for each release? It may be "basic" to your ears, but as stated many, many times, there comes a point in a music fan's life when they realize that "complexity" does not equal technical proficiency, and that technical proficiency even does not equal quality songwriting. And finally, that music is about one of two things - songs (in melodic music) and atmosphere/mood (in ambient music). Technical showoffery is not the point of music. It's the point of ego.

lol... You are aware that Dream Theater recycles albums worth of riffs, whilst Threshold writes completely new stuff for each release? It may be "basic" to your ears, but as stated many, many times, there comes a point in a music fan's life when they realize that "complexity" does not equal technical proficiency, and that technical proficiency even does not equal quality songwriting. And finally, that music is about one of two things - songs (in melodic music) and atmosphere/mood (in ambient music). Technical showoffery is not the point of music. It's the point of ego.

It's funny because recently, I've been starting to change in the way you've mentioned here. I am not all about how complex something can be. Good song writing and creativity do come first, but I feel that Threshold isn't creative at all. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy listening to Threshold, just not as much as DT. I'm not a huge fan (anymore) of music being very complex for the sake of being complex... which DT is sometimes guilty of. If something is really simple to play, but at least different in some way, I usually like it.

It's not because you know how to use a dictionary that you have to use the most complicated words to tell an interesting story. Using all the complicated words possible would make the story boring and probably difficult to understand. I enjoy Threshold a lot more than Dream Theater because they have the amazing ability to create atmospheres and melodies that capture the message the lyrics want to convey and thus are better storytellers. Storytellers who can touch your heart, move your mind and inspire your actions.

Dream Theater, of which I am a big fan of the first three album, struck the right balance between melody and technical display on those three albums, after that point, sacrified their songs on the altar of technical showmanship making their 'songs' painful to listen to. At best they are probably good for aspiring musicians to get their heads blown off.

One thing, I don't understand is why is it you say that "they aren't very creative in any way". Listen to Slipstream, Elusive off Dead Reckoning and admire how well they have used Death Metal vocals for effect. Also listen to their direct-to-fan releases of Replica and Decadent for alternative versions of their album songs. I think they are very creative in their own way.

If a band is going to be creative just for the sake of writing original but boring material then I would prefer that they don't create anything as silence is many times more suitable to creativity than noise.