Classical Music Influences?

Mountain Man

Blow It All To Hell!
Feb 24, 2002
West Virginia
What do you guys think about classical music influencing metal music? I’ve read many interviews where the group/artist states that they love classical music and it influences them quite a bit, groups such as, In Flames, Maiden and Carcass. I listen to old classical music and enjoy it, what about you? :confused:

Hell yes! There are so many killer metal bands & musicians who are influenced by classical music. The first one I ever knew of was Randy Rhoads..when I was 9 years old and just started listening to metal. And, obviously artists like Yngwie is HEAVILY influenced by Bach, Paganini, etc...My personal style of writing incorporates my love of classical music...I think the two styles fit together so perfectly and sound brilliant. Helstar, Symphony X...there are too many to mention...Who knows what Mozart would have thought if he only knew way back in the 1700s!!! THe music and influence of those classical composers is simply astonishing and priceless.

Sure, classical music rocks!

There are so many bands whose music is influenced by classical elements... can't even start listing them... Guess there's something gothic (=metallic-coolness) in this music. Just try dressing a conductor in black cloths (wait a sec... he's already wearing black!), make that torn black cloths, put some make-up (kiss-style) on his face, add a cool light-show to the concert and you got a hit. ;)

I think there are two kinds of classical influences on metal music: A popular one is imitating classical music using symphonic textures (orchestra samples, usually; sometimes choirs are added) and classical-like melodic motives, sometimes even borrowed from actual pieces the band likes. Another kind of influence is "classical thinking", sometimes reffered to as proggressive thinking (first ones to use this in the rock world were the prog-rockers, though I'm not sure about that). And by that I mean that the musical motives are being processed, developed and changed through the song/piece (using all kinds of classical-like technics). Many bands also use complex structures for their songs/pieces.

Mountain Man, try listening to some new classical music too - there are some cool contemporary composers.