Classical music for metalheads??

FailingAcension said:
Debussy and Bach are my favorites.
Debussy's Noctures and La Mer are great listens.
Right now on piano, I am learning Claire de Lune. Its hard, I'm by no means an expert at piano.

My favorite Bach piece is Toccatta and Fugue in D minor. I can play 4 pages of it but after that it gets insane hard.
His organ fugues "Little" and "Great" are really good.

Holst's "The Planets" is awsome.

I love Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata, mostly the really fast 3rd movement.

Griegs Peer Gynt Suites I & II are both good

Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake is excellent, as is The Nutcracker Suite, my favorite of that being Arabian Dance.

Chopin's Prelude No. 15 in D flat major is excellent.

Vivaldi's (sp?) The Four Seasons is good too

And this whole thread is just scratching the surface! Classical music is my favorite. :D

The Bach Toccata and Fugue in D minor is what got me into music. Before that I only listened to pop music on the radio. Yeah I can play the Toccata on piano but not the fugue. If you like Debussy you should eventually try tackling The Sunken Cathedral. Great piece, haven't played it in years myself.

When you mentioned The Sunken Cathedral I went and found it on one of my CDs. Man, it is so good. His music has this way of giving me metal pictures of what the song is about, moreso than others. Nuages or w/e (means clouds) is great and I can just see puffy cumulus clouds floating in the wind...

FailingAcension said:
When you mentioned The Sunken Cathedral I went and found it on one of my CDs. Man, it is so good. His music has this way of giving me metal pictures of what the song is about, moreso than others. Nuages or w/e (means clouds) is great and I can just see puffy cumulus clouds floating in the wind...
Yeah his two volumes of Preludes is amazing. It is so vivid in its depictions. Yeah Debussy rules. Ravel and Satie are also great if you like Debussy. Though I'm sure you've heard them already.

I have some Ravel but no Satie.
I heard a piece by Poulenc on the radio, I'd never heard of him, but I'm definalty going to look into it.

FailingAcension said:
I have some Ravel but no Satie.
I heard a piece by Poulenc on the radio, I'd never heard of him, but I'm definalty going to look into it.
I've actually heard well virtually nothing by Poulenc. Satie is a great composer. Most famous for his 3 Gymnopedies which you probably know. His 6 Gnossienes (hope that's the right spelling) are also beautiful. I recommend you pick up a cd of his solo piano music with those pieces on it. I'm sure you'll dig it. As for Ravel you can get all of his solo piano music on a 2 disc set.

i love me some classical but all the names have been mentioned already.
im a violinist originally and i fucking love plying metal riffs on the violin, it really works, especially opeth (for the haters, fuck you in advance)

i happen to think mozart is the shit.

did i say the shit? i meant shit.
spread the love

i mean shit.

Eugéne Ysaÿe's Violin Sonatas
Paul Hindemith's music for Viola alone and Viola/Piano
Mahler Symphonies 1, 2, 5 and 6
Tschaikowsky's last 3 symphonies
Brahms' Symphones and Viola (Or Clarinet) sonatas
William Walton's Viola Concerto
Alfred Schnittke's Viola Concerto, Psalms of Repentance, Requiem and Choir Concerto
Béla Bartók's String Quartets, Concerto for Orchestra, Viola Concerto
Dmitri Shostakovich Quartets 8 and 15, Symphony 5
York Bowen's Viola Concerto
Cecil Forsyth's Viola Concerto
J.S. Bach's Violin Sonatas and Partitas

There's plenty more.