Classical music for metalheads??

TylerTheNuke said:
Yes. Listen to this guy for "heavy classical". On the rite of spring, you can actually hear some of future metal. The second movement "riff" I heard on many metal songs. Don't know if it is actually metal bands listening to it or a king crimson song which twisted that riff into an early and slightly influential metal song, but I have heard it in several songs.

If you prefer minor and meloncholy, try the moonlight sonata by beethoven. It is beautiful.
I've always preferred the Pathetique to Moonlight myself. Guess I'm just sick to death of hearing that first movement.

Thoth-Amon said:
I'm sure you'd get into the Romantic era quite easily. I find the Romantic and Modern overall to be the most interesting but some of my favorite composers can be found in other eras.

My apologies for not living up to your sophisticated standards.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Many of these I know already, such as Beethoven's piano sonatas, Stravinsky (never really got into him much), mussourgsky etc.

Other stuff I already enjoy:
Liszt's piano works (particularly his adaptation of Saint-Saen's Danse Macabre)
Rachmaninov (particularly Isle of the Dead and Piano Concerto No 2). The recorded performance of Isle of the Dead I own doesn't do it justice. Saw it live and it was one of the best musical experiences of my life.
Andres Segovia (well, I don't hugely enjoy the style but can certainly appreciate the brilliance of the man in playing classical guitar)
The Kronos Quartet does some great stuff (for those of you who have seen Requiem for a Dream, they did the soundtrack)
and I think I already mentioned this in my earlier post but it's my favourite:
Henryk Gorecki's Symphony No 3 (Symphoney of Sorrowful Songs). Kind of like slow, dark, doom metal in classical form with haunting choirs.

And on the subject of metal bands playing classical pieces, I think the reverse would be awesome too. Love to see some of Opeth's earlier stuff adapted for orchestra and piano.

And Steve Vai has done a shredding version of Beethoven's 5th

Kronos quartet is awesome. I love all of their work. I forgot to mention Arvo Part. He's pretty amazing as well

there was a guy on the Symphony X forum who conducted a choir, and had them sing some Symphony X tunes. He recorded them and they sounded pretty awesome.

unknown said:
Kronos quartet is awesome. I love all of their work. I forgot to mention Arvo Part. He's pretty amazing as well

there was a guy on the Symphony X forum who conducted a choir, and had them sing some Symphony X tunes. He recorded them and they sounded pretty awesome.

Arvo Part! :kickass: My favorite living composer. I have 22 Part albums.

challenge_everything said:
Thanks for all the suggestions. Many of these I know already, such as Beethoven's piano sonatas, Stravinsky (never really got into him much), mussourgsky etc.

Other stuff I already enjoy:
Liszt's piano works (particularly his adaptation of Saint-Saen's Danse Macabre)
Rachmaninov (particularly Isle of the Dead and Piano Concerto No 2). The recorded performance of Isle of the Dead I own doesn't do it justice. Saw it live and it was one of the best musical experiences of my life.
Andres Segovia (well, I don't hugely enjoy the style but can certainly appreciate the brilliance of the man in playing classical guitar)
The Kronos Quartet does some great stuff (for those of you who have seen Requiem for a Dream, they did the soundtrack)
and I think I already mentioned this in my earlier post but it's my favourite:
Henryk Gorecki's Symphony No 3 (Symphoney of Sorrowful Songs). Kind of like slow, dark, doom metal in classical form with haunting choirs.

If you enjoyed Gorecki's Third Symphony (which in my opinion is his best work) you may also like his Miserere, Totus Tuus, Good Night, Harpsichord Concerto, Reqieum fur Kleines Polka, Sym. 2, Beatus Vir, etc. Great composer.

TylerTheNuke said:
Thats a good one too. I only heard moonlight sonata a year ago so I haven't had time to get sick of it yet. I really like beethoven, he really has style.
Yeah Beethoven rules. So many great pieces. If you haven't picked them up already go ahead and get the complete symphonies.