Classical songs covered by metal bands

Transilvanian Scotsman

Knee Deep In Metal
Feb 27, 2004
Scotland
As the title says, are there any 'Classical' songs which have been covered by metal bands? I do not know of any and it would be interesting to hear some.
Along the lines of Mozart, Beethoven, Wagner etc

I know Malmsteen has done some classical work. Although I dont classify him as metal, I would accept similar types of people/bands. But, really I'm looking for more than just a guitarist playing a classical piece; I wish to hear a whole band involved.

From Wind's "Reflections of the I" booklet: "The instrumental "Predominance" is inspired by, and could be viewed as an interpretation of Rachmaninov's Piano Concerto No.2 Opus 18."

Thanks, Ok, I'll see if I can download that song from somewhere. I figured this was a good topic to make, but it also seems a hard one to answer. Hopefully, someone else knows of other classical covers/heavily influenced songs.

Er, due to my incorrect placing of an apostrophe in my previous post, I should probably point out that the band is called Winds, not Wind, just in case you don't know.

Well Therion did a horrible cover of O Fortuna, and the rest of their recent records bear a striking resemblance to Wagner mixed with power metal.

Symphony X I know has used some of Mozarts requiem in I believe the V album.

Samael have some classically-derived intros on Ceremony... (at least one, possibly more). Cirith Ungol have covered Toccata and Fugue in Dm. Mekong Delta did some classically inspired album. The Great Kat, as mentioned. Accept, in some of their live stuff. Savatage. Manowar. Yngwie has done Badinerie at some point. All I can think of for now. Edit: oh yeah, Candlemass too.

St. Vitus said:
Cirith Ungol have covered Toccata and Fugue in Dm.

The one by Bach right? That would be very interesting to hear.

I'll see if i can find some of those listed above, was not sure if I would get many replies. Thanks for the info so far.

After Mekong Delta had already covered two pieces from Mussorgsky´s "Pictures At An Exhibition" on their first two albums, namely "The Hut Of Baba Yaga" on their debut "Mekong Delta" and "Gnomus" on the CD-version of "The Music Of Erich Zann", they covered "Pictures At An Exhibition" completely somewhere in the nineties. They also did a cover of another piece by Mussorgsky - "Night On A Bare Mountain" - on their album "Dances Of Death". There´s a cover version of a very short piece called "El Colibri" (written by Julio Sagreras) on their third album "The Principle Of Doubt". On "The Music Of Erich Zann" there´s an instrumental piece titled "Interludium" which sounds as if it might have been written by a classical composer, but their bassist Ralph Hubert composed it himself. On their album "Visions Fugitives" there´s a "Suite for group and orchestra", also written by their bassist.

Scatterbrain did a cover version of Mozart´s "Sonata # 3" on their album "Here Comes Trouble".

Candlemass covered Chopin´s "Marche Funèbre" on "Nightfall".

Helloween incorporated one of Brahms´ "Hungarian Dances" in one of the solos of "Halloween".