Classical Music

Sadistik

Let me die in solitude...
May 30, 2001
California
Visit site
I'm curious as to which classical composers you like...I know Lina's into some, and I think Hoser said he was to, but heres the official thread:loco:

Personally I like Mussorgsky, Holst, Wagner, Fuller, Orff, and Beethoven the best. My favorite classical piece is Carmina Burana by Carl Orff. It's so driving and emotional and epic, how can a metal fan not love it? Then there's The PLanets by Holst...that is such a gorgeous work. Truly beautiful....what do you like?

I haven't listened much to classical music,
mainly cause I haven't had the time.
I have so much metal that needs to be
checked out. But some classical music I
have heard! >:eek:P I love Grieg
("I dovregubbens hall" is one of my all
time fav's, since I was a child!), Mozart,
Bach, Beethoven... Probably lots of other
classical composers too, but I just don't
know their names...

I think this will be an interesting thread for
me, because I like classical music, just don't
know what to check out... I have never
found something that I want to put on and
sit back and listen! C'mon, recommend
some great classical music!!

I haven't listened to much classical stuff either myself.. but I know I love classical instruments.. and I know I love that Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata" on classical guitar..

i took a class on 20th century classical composers and i heard a lot of stuff that is really cool. I especially liked Schoneburg and Webern, especially their expresionism period, though the serialistic stuff is pretty cool too. i probably spelt those names wrong but whatever. There was some other really crazy stuff that i heard but i can't remember the composers off the top of my head.

Well, lets see... I've looked into this a little more since the last classical music thread. To generalize, since I still don't know much, I like Wagner and Holst, and on the softer side Debussy and Rachmaninov. You could also include Mustis from Dimmu Borgir. Although most of their stuff is not that impressive, I really liked Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia. The opening song, Fear and Wonder is a nice symphonic piece, dark and gloomy, and also throughout the album you can hear more pieces from the Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra, all composed by Mustis. Also, Vortex's operatic vocals add to the classical feeling. Finally, there are some songs from the soundtrack of Hannibal that I absolutely adore. Virtue, The Burning Heart, and Vide Cor Meum are all wonderful pieces, and are very inspiring to me.

I, too, have wanted to get into classical music a lot lately but haven't known where to start. I have been getting into vinyls lately and just wanted to go somewhere and find some good, cheap lps.

eldritch, that sounds like a really cool class. I plan to take some music theory classes in college and would love to take something like that.

Keep the good artists coming people... :p

I just wanted to add that this really must have been on my mind lately. I had a dream this morning that I was kind of outside somewhere looking through classical music LPs and getting excited by them. So, that must be a sign. :D

I'm a huge fan of Bach. I love baroque work because it's so damn complicated. Fugues are my favourite (think Toccata and Fugue in D minor.. ) I'm a fan of Carl Orff, Beethoven, Mozart, Wagner, Mussourgsky (though Ravel really did the symphonic versions of most of his work), and Chopin. My sister used to play Chopin all the time on the piano. It's haunting stuff.

There's such a wide range of classical music, it's kind of hard to narrow it down. But depending on my mood...
Bach's minor fugues
Vivaldi when I feel like violins
Chopin for piano music
Beethoven
Mozart and Wagner got me into opera
Debussy's good if you're feeling mellow
Orff's Carmina Burana is of course a definite must
Tchaikovsky's good
and some Rachmaninoff
I could go on and on, but overall I tend to like minor based classical pieces more than major ones.

Bach - Goldberg Variations, Well-Tempered Clavier, Violin Concertos
Beethoven - Moonlight Sonata, Appassionata Sonata, just about every symphony he wrote
Rachmaninov - Piano Concerto #2, Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini
Paganini - 24 Caprices \m/...amazing shit
Vivaldi - Four Seasons
Gershwin - Rhapsody In Blue
Mozart - Piano Concerto #20 and #21, Symphonies No. #40 & #41

Those are the favorites from what I've heard so far.

Ahem.

Sergei Prokofiev. All the piano sonatas, but especially 2, 3, 5, 7 and 8. This is living, breathing music - when it's harsh, it's powerful and driving, better than any death metal; when it's soft, it's touching and gentle, but never boring or banal. Igor Stravinsky is also great, in a similar style.

Dmitri Shostakovich. Always desolate and darkly ironic, you can never truly figure out how many masks he hides behind. In the rare occasion when all the ugliness and mocking doom dissolve, and his music becomes lyrical, you can never be sure if this is a distraction, or a confession masked and hidden between the marching chaos.

Olivier Messiaen - "Quartet for the End of Time". Some of the most achingly beautiful music I have ever heard in any genre. It takes time to adjust to his ways of melodic thinking, but when you finally do, you will see the profound depth this seemingly sparse music contains.

Arnold Schoenberg - "Pierrot Lunaire". A sick, twisted and surreal tale set to music which confuses at first, but enchants more and more later.

Gyorgy Ligeti - the soundtrack to 2001: A Space Odyssey. Huge, morphing masses of sound and different sorts of musical fabric; music that never becomes static.

Alexander Scriabin - I'm starting to get into his music, so I haven't heard much, but what I have heard is amazingly beautiful without romantic cheese-excesses, but also not strikingly "modern" so it won't alienate the trads.

D Mullholand

d mullholand, i'm so impressed with the depth of your exposure to classical. i'm usually the "expert" :)p) and it's fun to be on the receiving end of recommendations. although, please forgive me, i have yet to act on any of them. but my friends are asking what to get me for xmas, so maybe i'll tell them some of these.

initially posted by oyo
BACH! And vanilla ice cream! (Purposely said to piss of Lina :lol )
:lol: You know me well.

initially posted by duvall
I love baroque work because it's so damn complicated.
Hmmmm... :rolleyes: I suppose it's "complicated" because of the multi-part harmonies...but it's "complicated" in such an easily observable/analyzable (is that a word?) way, that it's not that impressive to me overall. sure, there's lots of notes going on, but it's all very measured and traditional and predictable and tedious. sorry duvall, you know i can't forgo comment on this topic. :D

believe it or not, i've never heard this orff piece. my knowledge is very limited to piano. i'm anxious to check it out.

Stravinsky's "rite of spring" is also real awesome. At points the whole orchestra plays the exact same thing, alike one note in a weird pattern. it sounds like some huge weird drum and it's awesome. Bartok is cool, so is Crumb and Erik Satie. good stuff

BLACKSPIRIT (caps to grab your attention):

I've only recently discovered this track (thanks, actually, to this board). Check out Franz Liszt's "Totentanz" which I think means "Dance of Death" it's a piano concerto (full orchestra and piano) composition. It's about 15 min long, and I love this one. If you're seriously trying to get into classical check this out. Think of it as a progressive symphonic piano instrumental.

Good, back to hybernation mode I go....

Originally posted by RogueSpirit
Bach - Goldberg Variations, Well-Tempered Clavier, Violin Concertos
Beethoven - Moonlight Sonata, Appassionata Sonata, just about every symphony he wrote
Rachmaninov - Piano Concerto #2, Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini
Paganini - 24 Caprices \m/...amazing shit
Vivaldi - Four Seasons
Gershwin - Rhapsody In Blue
Mozart - Piano Concerto #20 and #21, Symphonies No. #40 & #41

Those are the favorites from what I've heard so far.

I can't argue with this list. Paganini is a huge influence on many neo-classical guitarists like Uli Jon Roth and Yngwie Malmsteen. C.P.E. Bach {nephew?} had some nice stuff too. :)

Last X-mas I bought my mom 10 cd's of classical music...well, I've been listening to them mostly :D I had a few years ago a perioid when I only listened to classical music. And yes, I love it. I can't really say which composers are my favorites, but you have already pretty much said my fave songs. There's this one song by Prokofjev (?) where's these amazing violins...I love that one.

I only have to say one name... and that is MAHLER!!!!! The man was the most amazing and genius composer that ever lived. I have studied Mahler's work for years and years... he was just amazing... I can't even put it into words. He's great for metal heads... probably one of the most emotional composers ever. I HIGHLY recommend Symphonies #2 (Ressurection), #3, #6 (Tragic), and #7 (Song of the Night).

REALLY.... LISTEN TO THESE!!!!