Metal and Neo-Classical Instrumentals

DimeSublime

New Metal Member
Apr 7, 2002
Tacoma, Washington
Visit site
Alright guys. My friend (Dangerblade) posted a topic a while back asking for Metal instrumentals and he got a shitload of recommendations. I checked out that topic and would LOVE to download all that stuff, but I'm on a 28.8k modem with a 1.99 Gig capacity hard drive (dream machine, eh?). So I need a quick favor from you kickass people who recommended all that stuff in his topic...

Note - Dangerblade's topic is here: Metal Instrumentals

I'll describe the specific style I'm mainly looking for in instrumentals (for both metal/rock and neo-classical), and then you wonderful people will tell me which songs out of those that were recommended in his topic (or new recommendations would be cool too) fit my descriptions. Simple enough?

Metal/Rock Instrumentals - I love wailing guitar... the more emotional the better. So either something slow with a beautiful electric (or acoustic) guitar, OR... something extremely heavy (such as probably that Cannibal Corpse recommendation). An instrumental so brutal that it will knock my fucking brain out of my skull. So either relaxing and moody or brutally shredding.

Neo-classical Instrumentals - I want something dark, brooding, and emotional. I like deep undertones, and I absolutely love violins and cellos. Philip Glass is the kind of stuff I like. Nothing beautiful and upbeat, I have enough Tchaikovsky and Beethoven for that... I want something dark and more modern, more contemporary. Slow and deep, eerie. Also incorporated synthesizers would be awesome, heh.

Other Instrumentals - Whatever else... I just want stuff that's dark and moody, kind of like I described with Neo-Classical (but it can be any genre). Anything like NIN or old Aphex Twin, or whatnot... just dark and deep. Maybe even depressing.

I'll download all that I can of what gets recommended, but as I said I'm on this wonderful dream machine of a computer so I might get held back a little. Anyway, thanks in advance to any of you that help out (I hope). Peace out guys. :)

wailing:
"mourn" by sentenced.

brooding neoclassical:
"fear and wonder" by dimmu borgir.
"inverted spheres" by darkane
anything by apocalyptica (i like "one," the metallica cover)

other
"ripe (with decay)" by nine inch nails
the entire "concerto suite for electric guitar and orchestra in e flat minor" by yngwie malmsteen, although perhaps it's too baroque for your tastes.

i'll edit if i think of any more

For categories 2&3, check out composer Gyorgy Ligeti, his works like "Lux Aeterna", "Requiem for Two Mixed Choirs and Orchestra", "Atmospheres". This is very much modern/contemporary, a lot darker (and cooler) than Philip Glass! Ligeti's music is like looking into a vast, infinite abyss.

D Mullholand

I can help with category 1.

Arch Enemy - Stigmata (not really brutal, a little bit but pretty melodic.
Neil Zaza - I'm Alright Intro (Live)
Neil Zaza - Rain
Andy Timmons - Electric Gypsy
Andy Timmons - There Are No Words (i can't stress these two ENOUGH!!!)
Borislav Mitic - Written In Stars
Borislav Mitic - Epitaph

and for some obvious :D

Opeth - Patterns In The Ivy
Opeth - To Bid You Farewell (not completely instrumental, but beautiful)

Check theing Crimson stuff from 1973-74. If your not familiar with them they are a prog-rock band who had a violinest for some time. You must here "Providence" which fits perfictly into your second catagory there. Very dark and has a great bulid up. If you like that try "Lark's Toungues in Aspic 1 & 2" and "The Talkng Drum" which aren't as dark but are heavy (for '73 at least) and are very good.

Dime Sublime, it SUCKS but the only place that remotely has anything of interest is HMV. Any one will do they all have about the same selection. But usually i have to order online, like through CDnow, Amazon, Century Media, or The End Records (those are the 4 i have used, all work pretty well, altough the one from Century Media took SOOO DAMN LONG to get here!)

Arcturus-Ad Astra: You need this tune. NOW! It's pretty much an instrumental, though there are a little bit of vocals in it at one point, though no lyrics. It's extremely dark, classical styled music. It goes through many twists and turns, all with kick ass metal drumming coutesy of Hellhammer. There are sonme really shredding leads on there, and an amazing synth solo! Never thought I'd hear myself say that haha....:lol:

And if you haven't heard it yet, (sorry for the shameless promotion!) I have an instrumental acoustic/electric guitar tune that is quite relaxing, but very moddy. There are a bunch of guitar layers, and each one sort of conveys a different mood....If you're interested, here's the link!

http://www.mp3.com/tillfjalls

Sentenced - Mourn
Sentenced - The Golden Stream Of Lapland
MetallicA - Orion
MetallicA - The Call Of Ktulu
MetallicA - To Live Is To Die (well.. almost)

Look into Movie Scores. They are almost always intrumental, and great mood music, even if you cant remember any films with good scores, just think of the atmosphere of the movie, find one that suits the sort of atmostphere you want and it's almost 100% likely that its the score creating that mood not the picture (the picture adds to the score not the other way).