Instrumentals and such

Xtokalon

Jun 1, 2001
I got into metal because of Metallica's Orion, and to this day it's my favorite instrumental. I like pretty much all of metallica's instrumentals. In flames' instrumentals are cool, and Epilogue and patterns in the ivy complete Opeth in my mind.

What are some of coolest instrumentals that you've heard and would recommend?

(Btw, hehe, yes Thales' world beyond and pellucid lake rule too. :))

Derek Sherinian - Planet X
Steve Stevens - Flamenco a Go Go (mostly instrumental)
Praxis - Transmutation
Liquid Tension Experiment - 1 & 2
Vitalij Kuprij - VK3
Hellborg/Lane/Sipe - Time is the Enemy
Al Di Meola - Elegant Gypsy
Buckethead - Monsters and Robots (mostly instrumental)
Bozzio/Levin/Stevens - Black Light Syndrome

Most of these I couldn't describe even if I tried, so I won't, but they're all fucking awesome.

Edit: Yes, I realize you were looking for songs here. These albums have songs on them.

Yes Orion is a really great song and their other instrumentals are good too. And Epilogue is the best ever! :D

Stratovarius - Stratosphere (?)
Cynic - Textures (Focus)
Pink Floyd - Marooned and Cluster One (Divison Bell)
Death - Voice Of The Soul (Perseverence) and Cosmic Sea (Human)
Emperor - The Wanderer (Anthems) and Inno A Satana (Nightside)
Gehenna - Malice (malice)
My Dying Bride - For My Fallen Angel (?)
Nine Inch Nails - The Mark Has Been Made, The Way Out Is Through, A Warm Place.... they are all pretty good actually

Aside from ones already mentioned..

I really like Silhouette and Requiem, of course

But "No Dreams Breed in Breathless Sleep" is nice at the end of Dissection's Storm of the Light's Bane

and I *love* Desolate Ways by Morbid Angel. I actually started to learn how to finger pick again to play that song.

For horror-movie cheesiness, Cradle of Filth has plenty of instrumentals. She Mourns a Lengthening Shadow is a good example, being one of their longest.

Is anyone familiar with any artists that only do heavy guitar/drums instrumentals? I would really be interested in checking something like that out.

Originally posted by Xtokalon
I got into metal because of Metallica's Orion, and to this day it's my favorite instrumental. I like pretty much all of metallica's instrumentals. In flames' instrumentals are cool, and Epilogue and patterns in the ivy complete Opeth in my mind.

What are some of coolest instrumentals that you've heard and would recommend?

Hahaha ... spot on Xtokalon. These are basically my favourite instrumentals too. Silhouette of course ranks up there for me too. In the way of other songs not mentioned, I really love "1776" by Iced Earth. Inflames "Dialogue With The Stars" and "Pallar Anders Visa" are my 2 fav inflames instrumentals.

thnx everyone for the recommendations!

Dammit if only there was a metal compilation album out there of the 50 best instrumentals ever produced. I think I'd buy 4 copies for every place I need it.

(and, yes, hehe, Thales' world beyond and pellucid lake would have to be on it too :D)

hey wars,

That song is not on the page. oh well....I will instead feast on all the other songs instead. But I think your teasing me or something. :)

cheers.

The entire "Return to Metalopolis" cd by Chris Poland. I think it was released in the late 80's originally but a remastered version came out 2 or 3 years ago. For those who don't know, Chris Poland is the original lead guitarist for Megadeth. No, this cd isn't going to sound remotely close to Opeth. It's for lovers of intense emotional metal soloing. Some of his solos have a somewhat early Megadeth-ish sound, but overall it's more progressive, jazzier, and complex. Even if you don't like early Megadeth, give it a listen. It might surprise you. Poland is easily one of my favorite guitarists and the solos on this cd are absolutely breathtaking.

www.mp3.com/soulforlorn

If it's instrumentals your after, then I recommend you check out Porcupine Tree's "Voyage 34" Especially Phases 1, 2 & 3.

Absolutely mind-blowing psychedelia, mixing with prog-rock ambience.....

It always takes me onto a whole new level.

Or The Allman Brothers versions of "Mountain Jam". I've got 2 versions of it, one is 34 minutes long, the other is 45 minutes!! Stunnng displays of musicianship....

Therion: Opus Eclipse! Now that's a real instrumental! Although it has some of that wordless choir-singing...

-Villain (np: Theatre of Tragedy - Aégis)