How many Opeth fans enjoy "classical" music?

soundave

Oct 13, 2005
MA
And I use the term "classical" very loosely (as in, like string quartets and symphonies, not as in the period during which Mozart composed).

My guess is that Opeth fans are probably more likely than many metal fans to like some "classical" music (more so than, say pop or rap fans to be sure). Especially those fans that enjoy opeth for the reasons I do: the musicality, the contrasting light and dark... not necessarily because it's heavy (although, I certainly enjoy that, too...)

If you don't know any good classical music (or think it might be too boring), I have a few recommendations for Opeth fans:

Bartok's string quartets (or anything else, really). Beethoven (duh). Listen to the string quartets (I generally think that string quartets are places to hear some sick musicianship, but I'm a guitarist, so I probably have preference for string sounds...). Stravinsky's Rite of Spring and Petrushka (evil clown puppet...), Holst's "Mars Bringer of War" from The Planets, Paganini's 24 Caprices.

I could go on, but I'm interested what others think.

Not so much classical, but I really enjoy soundtrack music, mainly because thats the kind of music we play. But I like listening to classical, I just don't know much by name and all. Its certainly not offensive to the ears, and quite inspirational generally.

I enjoy 'classical' music and film scores...I'm not a massive fan...But I'd take 'classical' over 'pop' anyday

I love Bartok and Bach. I went through a HUGE Romantic-era opera phase not too long ago. I also dig Stravinsky, although my favorite work is actually his neoclassical opera "The Rake's Progress". Fantastic stuff.

NP: Theocracy "s/t"

Dark Lunacy - weird italian death metal with violins and other "classical" instruments, took a while to get used to but now im hooked. thats bout as classical as i get

Wounded Land said:
I love Bartok and Bach. I went through a HUGE Romantic-era opera phase not too long ago. I also dig Stravinsky, although my favorite work is actually his neoclassical opera "The Rake's Progress". Fantastic stuff.

Nice. Bach's Organ Fugues are amazing. What Romantic Operas? The Ring Cycle had to be in there, I imagine... Weber? Der Freischutz (sp?)?

I grew up listening to classic music due to my mother. She teaches piano. I love Bach - Passacaglia (for organ). Give it a try folks. I guess you will love too.

La Campanella by Liszt is probably my favorite piano piece of all time. I like all sorts of classical but I can't begin to tell you the names... I lean towards aggressive and overpowering pieces.

yes...
all great composers and works already mentioned...
i think that some classical works are definately "metal"... in the sense of kicking major arse.
also...
sibelius...
rachmananoff...

I love and greatly admire classical music. It's a dream of mine to be able to record an album with an orchestra and i experiment with classical song structures in my music.

at the moment, my favorite composers are Arnold Schoenburg, and Frederick Chopin. Chopin has very beatiful piano songs, and if you're not too familiar with him, you might recognize his "funeral march." And Schoenburg, jeez, if you're into experimental music then this guy is for you. I also like Mozart, Beethoven, Bach, Tchaikovsky, just a bunch of stuff.

Sweet! Another Schoenberg fan! I was a little reluctant to include him as he's a seriously acquired taste. His early tonal stuff, like Transfigured Night (sounds like an Opeth song title!:headbang: ) is great...sort of like Mahler (very cool), but it's of course the serial, pantonal (atonal, though he hated that phrase) that I really like. Especially the paino pieces. Moses and Aron is pretty intense, too. Pierrot Lunaire is pretty wacky. Can't quite get into the whole sprechstimme (sp?) thing. Sounds sort of goofy to me.

Have you listened to Berg (Wozzeck is crazy:devil: ...would make a good theme for a metal album, actually)? I think he is a bit more accessible. Also Webern is good for people with short attention spans. Not sure he wrote a single piece longer than 5 minutes... I love second viennese school. I like that it's unpredictable but has a really carefully planned out underlying structure.

Definitely check out Liszt's Totentanz (Dance of the Dead?). Very evil sounding and sick virtuosity.

I like classical music, but I've never bothered to learn what I'm listening to.
It may sound gay but my favourite composer of all time is John Williams - I don't know why it has to be a "classical" one from the 1500's or something.
I always have Classic FM on.

Shit Classical just rules, though alot of it is just too peppy and cheerful for my taste..
Anything thats sad, meloncholic, dark, and furious or pretty serious;
That includes Baroque, Medieval, Renaissance, Ottoman, Karnatic, and even Gagaku...
I have a wider range other than classical as well...