How many Opeth fans enjoy "classical" music?

classical is in inverted commas, suggesting the post is on about the great composers of orchestral music which all gets lumbered into the genre 'classical'

I'm don't know a lot about classical, but for the sake of argument, shall we just say "if it features and orchestra (and not in a Metallica type way) it's classical"? I'm aware of stuff like Baroque and Romantic, but unless we're being pedantic shall we just all them classical. I think we all know what variety of music we're reffering to.

I grew up in India, listening to Indian classical music - Carnatic and Hindustani styles. Then, there was the influence of Western classical music to styles of Bach, Beethoven, Chopin, Mozart, Wagner, Brahms and Tchaikovsky.

In western classical, my favorites would include Mozart, Beethoven and Wagner.

nazgulofmordor said:
I grew up in India, listening to Indian classical music - Carnatic and Hindustani styles. Then, there was the influence of Western classical music to styles of Bach, Beethoven, Chopin, Mozart, Wagner, Brahms and Tchaikovsky.

In western classical, my favorites would include Mozart, Beethoven and Wagner.

indian classical music is fucking sweet. i saw ravi shankar play last year...it was so sweet.

JoeVice said:
indian classical music is fucking sweet. i saw ravi shankar play last year...it was so sweet.

Ravishankar is amazing on the sitar. There can be no one as skillful as him on that instrument. I am glad that a westerner is into Indian music. Have you heard these guys?

1. Shivkumar Sharma(instrumentalist) - plays the Jal tarang; An instrument which when played makes you remind of ripples on the water
2. Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan(singer) - Hindustani music
3. U Srinivas(instrumentalist); plays the Mandolin
4. Zakir Hussain(instrumentalist) - plays the tabla. He has played in Shakti, with John McLaughlin.

All of these guys are Legends. If you haven't heard, check them out.

nazgulofmordor said:
Ravishankar is amazing on the sitar. There can be no one as skillful as him on that instrument. I am glad that a westerner is into Indian music. Have you heard these guys?

1. Shivkumar Sharma(instrumentalist) - plays the Jal tarang; An instrument which when played makes you remind of ripples on the water
2. Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan(singer) - Hindustani music
3. U Srinivas(instrumentalist); plays the Mandolin
4. Zakir Hussain(instrumentalist) - plays the tabla. He has played in Shakti, with John McLaughlin.

All of these guys are Legends. If you haven't heard, check them out.

i'll check them out. thanks. i've always wanted to purchase a sitar. imo, its one of the coolest sounding instruments in existence.

affinityband said:
I despise classical music unless it is in an orchestral manner. I hate concertos and quintets etc. bores the shit out of me.

Concertos are orchestral...not that I'm adding anything to the topic with this.

But yeah, if I cared about labels at all, the fact that people call hundreds of years of music with huge stylistic changes and plenty of variety by one word would bother me. Just calling it all "classical" doesn't do it justice. Baroque is quite different from classical, and I can see how people would lump the classical and romantic periods together, even though they are very different. And then 20th century classicalish music is a whole new beast.

Well the first music I ever really got into was classical, so I definitely appreciate it. Don't listen to it nearly as much as I used to, but I still very much like Beethoven's 6th symphony.

My favourite orchestral composition is definitely Joaquín Rodrigo's "Concierto de Aranjuez".

I grew up going from listening to mozart to Black Sabbath and deftones.

so yeah, I like classical, but I really love john williams (yeah, I'm a star wars nerd)

the star wars soundtracks are amazing. oohh, my favorite is probably during the asteroid chase on the empire strikes back, the part where they are entering what they later find out to be a giant asteroid space monster's mouth.

MrJack said:
are you kidding? IMPERIAL MARCH ALL THE WAY

you can take imperial march and stick it up your ass. man...me and a friend were watching star wars the other day...we pretty much talked about the movie (music, characters, quotes, etc.) for about 3/4 of the time. thanks to that day, and this small conversation, a fire has been lit in my mind that means i need to buy some star wars soundtracks.