How many Opeth fans enjoy "classical" music?

MegaMoose said:
The complexity and nuance of it goes WAY beyond any other type of music. Trust me, Opeth and the like are extremely simplistic compared to Beethoven. In pretty much every way possible.

What do you mean why look back? Does that mean no listening to music from the 70's, 80's, or 90's? Classical music is the foundation for most modern music, although it is much more complex. Why should you not experience a masterpiece just because it was created hundreds of years ago? Time doesn't make things worse, unless you're a trendy douchebag.

Exactly! :)

Braighs said:
Does anybody know any good modern composers besides John Williams?

John Williams is pretty much a hack. The 20th century is filled with very interesting composers, but their approach to music is extremely different from the norm. Most of the 20th century was about bending the "rules" and pushing music to mostly unexplored concepts such as microtonality, serialism, atonalism, free dissonance and minimalism. How "modern" do you want to go? Modern for me is anything 20th century and beyond. From there, here's some of my favorite composers:

Arnold Schoenberg
Gyorgi Ligeti
Iannis Xenakis
Arvo Part
Giacinto Scelsi
Krzystoff Pednerecki

I am worn out on serialism for now. Its just too mechanical. However, I would LOVE to get some more microtonal music. I believe that is the natural evolution of music and with 19, 31, or even 72 pitches to the octave. This is a great way to avoid redundancy.

edit - oh, you ment "modernist period". I ment 21st century. post-modern I guess.