Classical music...

MajestikMøøse said:
This might not be exactly considered classical music, but does anyone else here enjoy plainchant?

No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night

Dick Sirloin said:
http://download.yousendit.com/0D5ED1EA658D5A44

If you don't think this is one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever, then you literally don't HAVE a soul.

I can appreciate it being beautiful and talented but that is all, just acknowledgment. Orchastras are one of the places where its hardest, if at all possible, to have a soulfull feeling, in my opinion. EVERYONE has to be playing the same exact thing, in each of the sections. Ensamble sort of settings maybe have a chance to capture that feeling, but even then...

PS: second video wasn't "jiggablues".

I like plainchant, gregorian especially. Some plainchant could be argued as folk music as it is usually an assembly of religious "folks" getting their chant on, but I think gregorian is more classical. IMO

KILL TULLY said:
Orchastras are one of the places where its hardest, if at all possible, to have a soulfull feeling, in my opinion. EVERYONE has to be playing the same exact thing, in each of the sections.

So doesn't this make it even more impressive when it's pulled off? I know it's cliche, but Beethoven's 9th is a perfect example of this. So is Handel - Messiah... they had an orchestra, recitative vocalists, soloists and TWO choirs. Amazing wall of sound that piece is at times

Dick Sirloin said:
So doesn't this make it even more impressive when it's pulled off? I know it's cliche, but Beethoven's 9th is a perfect example of this. So is Handel - Messiah... they had an orchestra, recitative vocalists, soloists and TWO choirs. Amazing wall of sound that piece is at times

For some reason it sounds like you really have it set in your mind that impressive/technical = soulfull and good music. I disagree with that.

Sure its impressive, so are backflips.

KILL TULLY said:
For some reason it sounds like you really have it set in your mind that impressive/technical = soulfull and good music. I disagree with that.

Sure its impressive, so are backflips.

Yeah, and the show General Hospital is pretty emotional as well

Dude, you're taking this thing way too far. I'm only saying that emotion/technique aren't polemical. The truly great composers blended both into sonic bliss. Just because James Joyce was a technically proficient writer doesn't mean that parts of his novels don't bring tears to my eyes or make me laugh. It's not all about the emotion, it's not all about ability.

Dick Sirloin said:
Dude, you're taking this thing way too far. I'm only saying that emotion/technique aren't polemical. The truly great composers blended both into sonic bliss. Just because James Joyce was a technically proficient writer doesn't mean that parts of his novels don't bring tears to my eyes or make me laugh. It's not all about the emotion, it's not all about ability.

I know, you just keep bringing up the fact that said composers were amazingly proficient instrumentalists, child prodigies, etc. etc. so I keep adressing that.

One of the problems with classical music is the schizm between composer and performer, this is where much of the feeling is lost to me.

Sure a solo performer can inject some free feeling/soul into a solo piece of classical composition, as can an opera performer add their own feel to the part they play. The problem is in orchestras and other large groups, this is when stuff becomes robotic and mechanical. It's like a machine, if any of the gears in the machien slip, the whole thing will be ruined. Therefore everything needs to be perfectly uniform and set-up with a precise plan involved.

I agree with most of what you said. The NY Philharmonic Orchestra was criticized for "unemotional playing" throughout the 50s and 60s.

The ONLY thing I was addressing in this thread was your statement that classical music is devoid of emotion. And the only reason I brought up the talents of the composers was to bring up the contrast between "high-brow" music and "accessible" music and why you don't necessarily have to have one or the other.

ok. so in tully's opinion then. A bagpipe band has no emotion either. Even though depending upon the style of songs you push the value of some notes and cut the others to add to the music. Some people play seconds to add to the sound.

But since it's not 3 dudes just randomly playing random crap, it's not emotional. So every single band that isn't just guys randomly flailing at their instruments and doing their own thing without any communication together cannot possibly convey an emotion.

hey, i respect your opinion, but I think there is more than one way to get the message accross.

In a bagpipe band, we do the same thing because we're trying to put together the same feeling. I'm sure its much the same in the orchestras.

Conspicuously Absent said:
ok. so in tully's opinion then. A bagpipe band has no emotion either. Even though depending upon the style of songs you push the value of some notes and cut the others to add to the music. Some people play seconds to add to the sound.

But since it's not 3 dudes just randomly playing random crap, it's not emotional. So every single band that isn't just guys randomly flailing at their instruments and doing their own thing without any communication together cannot possibly convey an emotion.

hey, i respect your opinion, but I think there is more than one way to get the message accross.

In a bagpipe band, we do the same thing because we're trying to put together the same feeling. I'm sure its much the same in the orchestras.

Ummmmmmm, no, not at all in any way shape or form is that what I'm saying. Sorry. I addressed small ensambles in one of my posts. Then again it depends on what sort of piping your doing. For example the way Uilleann pipes are incorperated into a band is amazing but some of the Great Highland pipping bands are a bit boring for some of the same reasons as orchestras. Of course thats just two examples of pipping that I enjoy or dislike, and there are hundereds more to address. I used to play Galician pipes in school with one of my teacher and I love how they are incorperated into an ensamble/band setting, but even more so I loved just playing outside under a tree on a picnic bench with my teacher, just "jamming" and playing dance tunes. Some of the best memories from school in fact, and it was only over one summer session =/. BUT NOW I'M SIDETRACKED.

During the premiere of The Rite of Spring, Camille Saint-Saens left because he felt it was atrocious and abusing the use of the bassoon,and a riot eventually broke out.
THAT IS BADASS:headbang:

Not to mention the riot that occurred. Imagine that: a riot starting because of a piece of classical music...

Also, the bassoon that opens the piece was said to be "impossible to play" but that Igor asshole insisted

Tully sounds like Alexi Laiho.

"Hey I think it's good if an artist fucks up every 4th note, it adds alot of edge".

So playing a piece proficiently in an orchestra is not going to evoke emotion and as you put it "soul", for the sole reason that the musicians who are playing it have to be in synch? What a ridiculous statement.

"Oh look at me play this banjo with half ass skill, hey but I toiled the fields for 8 hours earlier today, which gives my music "expression".

It's like a machine, if any of the gears in the machien slip, the whole thing will be ruined. Therefore everything needs to be perfectly uniform and set-up with a precise plan involved.

It's this very precision that makes such a live performance beautiful.