Classical music...

You really should listen to some Penderecki. He's an avant-garde composer but a lot of his stuff isn't experimental to the point of unlistenability, unlike Ligeti (who I enjoy anyway). And I agree with whoever mentioned Dead Can Dance. Aion and The Serpent's Egg are their best albums.

If I remember the name in the morning, I will. I said earlier that I dont' have nearly as much classical music as I should, and it's true. I figure one of these days I'll go apeshit and buy like 23098032189 CDs of various composers and go from there. All I know is the 400+ year old music I know doesn't go stale, and that's a wonderful thing.s

For a something of the "dark variety" try Ravel's Gaspard de la Nuit. (it's in three parts)

Edit : sorry for double post

I know squat about classical music, but who is best if I want something....depressing, but hopeful....kinda like Arcane Sun's brilliant piano piece, or 7 Angels 7 Plagues beautiful piano piece (not like any of you have heard that one).

Thanks for any help.

Stravinsky's Firebird Suite is exactly as you described. Chaotic, otherworldly, and damn depressing...until the end...one of the greatest endings to any piece of music ever created EVER. Fills your heart up with joy and pride and wonder.

And it's in 7/4 with dissonance save a gorgeous melody played by the horns gently iced on the top of an explosive cake. Take off the melody and the piece is like falling face first on a land mine.

Stravinsky was a genius.

And I love that this board has such great taste in classical music. Cheers!

bio_img_252x190.jpg

:confused:

OK, so my wife used to the drum major for her high school band, and she was into tons of classical music, so I pulled out her CDs (out from behind my flawless collection), and searched through the country music and shit and found some Pink Floyd, Tool, and about a dozen CDs of classical music.

Lets see:

The Age of Baroque with Vivaldi (The Four Seasons), Bach, Handel, Haydn, etc.
Classic Symphonies with Beethoven, Prokofev, Haydn
Orchestral Blockbusters with Tchaikovsky
The Romantic Age with Chopin, Wagner, Tchaikovsky
Classical Thunder I with Tchaikovsky, Stravinsky, Beethoven, Prokofev, Holst, etc
Classical Thunder II with Beethoven, Stravinsky
The Age of the Classics with Beeth-oven, Schubert, Mozart
Classical Thunder III with Holst, Beeth-oven
Showpieces and Encores
Orchestral Fireworks

And the other half of her CD collection is stored away in a box in a closet. This should be enough to get me started.

Well since we are on the subject, I think Gorecki's No 3 is a must have for everyone. Someone recommended it months back, and I must say they have excellent taste.

Also, if anyone is into atonal modern classical, Lutoslawski is quite excellent in mixing tonality with melody. An Italian guy on the internet convinced me to download some pieces by a Luca Belacastro, he has some serious talent, and I think in a few years, his works could be quite good.

And Im a big fan of the pre-bach composer Pachelbel--excellent stuff.

speed said:
And Im a big fan of the pre-bach composer Pachelbel--excellent stuff.
Indeed, perhaps you know the title of a song by him which I downloaded somewhere. It's a slow and stunningly beautiful choir piece, mixing a boys' soprano choir and male... barriton? (deep sining anyway :p ) Any clue?

Ill have to do some searching spaffe, Id be interested in hearing it myself.

I guess the three of us agree there is something magical and eternal about pachelbel. For some reason his music really creates very warm emotions within me whenever I hear it. I am sounding like a idiot, but it is true.