Classical music...

Reign in Acai said:
"Hey I think it's good if an artist fucks up every 4th note, it adds alot of edge".
Haha, where did I say anything remotely like this? At least Serloin seems to understand what I'm saying, just disagreeing. You seem to have no grasp at all of my side of the arguement.

If you can't tell the different between adding a bit of yourself to a piece and fucking up "every 4th note", then I'm sorry that you are musically retarded.

Reign in Acai said:
"Oh look at me play this banjo with half ass skill, hey but I toiled the fields for 8 hours earlier today, which gives my music "expression".

If you think banjo players like Earl Scruggs, guitar players like BB King/Muddy Waters/Robert Johnson/Doc Watson, mandolin players like Bob Monroe/Ricky Skaggs/Chris Thile, etc. etc. don't have absurd amounts of musical talent then you have a horrible ability to pick up on said talent. Gimee a break.

Reign in Acai said:
It's this very precision that makes such a live performance beautiful.

I guess, to somone who thinks machines are beautiful. I'm not saying thats right or wrong, but I don't feel that way.

Reign in Acai said:
Tully sounds like Alexi Laiho.

"Hey I think it's good if an artist fucks up every 4th note, it adds alot of edge".

So playing a piece proficiently in an orchestra is not going to evoke emotion and as you put it "soul", for the sole reason that the musicians who are playing it have to be in synch? What a ridiculous statement.

"Oh look at me play this banjo with half ass skill, hey but I toiled the fields for 8 hours earlier today, which gives my music "expression".

It's this very precision that makes such a live performance beautiful.
hehe thats basically the Burzum recording philosophy

I understand Tully's argument, I dont agree with him but I dont think he's an idiot for disliking classical music. I can see how the seemingly rigid structure of classical music can be viewed as "automated" or machine-esque, I dont really see it that way myself though. As RIA said, part of that perfection in playing style, technique, etc. is what makes the music itself so stunning and beautiful. The work put into the composition and the endless hours spent honing the parts to there prime is not only something I think is admirable, but also astonishing. Tully might prefer to hear a folk ensemble to a classical orchestra, simply because the folk group may produce music that is more moving to him for whatever the reasons.
Roger Waters once said something to the effect of: "The only thing that matters in the end is whether the music moves you or not, thats it!"

*sigh*

the thing about ANY music is that your ears+brain has to be able to "read" it. to some metal sounds all the same like noise and to others the monotonous beats of trance are the joy of their lives and others cry their hearts when they hear the aria "Un bel dì" of Puccini's Madama Butterfly (even though they might not understand any of the Italian lyrics) while as to others this piece of music is a boring song with annoyingly hysteric vocals.

I only beg for some tolerance, if you say that music is your life, you cannot close your ears if you cannot "read" it...

Geesh my language department in the brain is on vacation today.

superstardj.jpg

Replace 'DJ' with 'Conductor'.

First you say "it's so hard to get an orchestra to play together" then insinuate that the conductor is meaningles. You're a walking contradiction