metal music with huge influences from

Xorv

Drug the Priest
May 30, 2005
the bowels of lochness
Not old metal groups, but true classical music. I'm looking for metal with huge influences from:

Gregorian Chant (think medieval monks in a chapel in the 10th century)
and
Baroque Era (Bach, Handel, Purcell, ect)

Classical era accepted as well.

Therion is the most immediate one to come to my mind, but different albums have different influences. Vovin, Deggial, and Secret of the Runes are probably the most relevant. I'm getting ready for bed right now, but I'll look over my playlist later to see what else might be of interest to you.

for gregorian chant influence, check the songs 'Eclipse - Vita Nova' and 'Conspirator' from Hollenthon. also the album 'Cardinal 7' from Ashes II Ashes and 'Eternal Eclipse Of Frost' from Dunwich

Gregorian Chant you must check out the classic Bathory song Blood on Ice, though it is on the minimalistic side. Hmmm as far as classical I definitely like music in the vein you describe, though admittedly IMO music of that kind be it in the classical or metal genres could all be better, the best has yet to be written/recorded. There is some good stuff though...

[band name] - [recommended songs (if you want to download some samples from the net]

Age of Silence - Acceleration, Auditorium of Modern Movements

Ihsahn - Astera Ton Proinon

Emperor - The Loss and Curse of Reverence, The Tongue of Fire, An Elegy of Icaros

Obtained Enslavement - The Dark Night of Souls, Seven Witches

Borknagar - Traveller, The Wonder, The Witching Hour

The Chasm - Procession to the Infraworld

Transcending Bizarre - Irreversible

Hmmmm again, it's tough to find more bands, it's unfortunate that there is so little in this category (though some of these recommendations are really good!).. to get more responses you may wish to specify how minimalistic a sound you're looking for, because in the genre of metal it ranges widely across the spectrum, in most sub-genres including the one you describe.