Your Favorite Non-Metal Genre?

Favorite Non-Metal Music?

• Total voters

Zephyrus

Tyrants and Slaves
Jan 18, 2006
Maine or Iowa
I'm curious to see what other kind of music you all like. It's often the case that the type of music you like outside of metal is reflective of what metal genres you prefer.

I love Classical music, specifically Baroque composers like Bach and Vivaldi (especially his "Summer"). I'm also a huge fan of organ music, from Bach and Liszt to the French masters of the 19th century such as Franck, Durufle, Vierne and Widor.

Besides Classical I also like to play Classic Rock on the car radio, and I have most of the Beatles' discography to chill to when I need a quick respite from metal.

Please wait for the poll. It's public, and allows multiple options.

For me it goes:
Folk/Traditional
Progressive Rock
Classic Rock

The three of those usually blend together in some way. My favorite bands are Pink Floyd, Genesis, and Jethro Tull. So yeah... you can see how it all comes together. :cool:

Classic rock and older, real country. Some classical once in a while.

Probably post-punk, shoegaze, neofolk and different types of ambient music.

Classic Rock. It probably comes right up to metal for me. Now by this, it covers a huge umbrella.

I'm curious to see what other kind of music you all like. It's often the case that the type of music you like outside of metal is reflective of what metal genres you prefer.

I love Classical music, specifically Baroque composers like Bach and Vivaldi (especially his "Summer"). I'm also a huge fan of organ music, from Bach and Liszt to the French masters of the 19th century such as Franck, Durufle, Vierne and Widor.

Besides Classical I also like to play Classic Rock on the car radio, and I have most of the Beatles' discography to chill to when I need a quick respite from metal.

Please wait for the poll. It's public, and allows multiple options.

I'm with you my classical brother! Classical is my fav non-metal genre followed by classic rock. :worship:

Classic rock, prog rock (esp. Zeuhl), and trance music.

It seems that the trance listening is often due to frequently needing a break from the abrasive quality of the guitar and drums. I'm not sure if I'd still listen to it if I somehow had a perfect tolerance for rock and metal, but as it is, I listen to a shitload of it.

Classical, jazz, classic/prog rock. I like a few 80's pop bands but overall the 80's was a horrible decade for music

Jazz, Progressive Rock, Industrial, Electronica/Techno and Noise. I meant to vote Other for Ambient, but it slipped my mind.

I'm the only one who voted for industrial and noise? :(

If I ever really listened to anything aside from metal it would be progressive rock and classical. I keep some Ayreon and Beethoven for these impossibly rare occasions. I like almost everything under the metal umbrella though, so with such diversity I never really stray from there.

Since I have almost lost all interest in metal, which I am sure I will gain back, I have dived into indie rock. Which is a term that is as broad as saying that you like metal music because than you fall to talk about all the sub-genres. I personally think people miss out on a lot of good current music if they drive into indie rock.

Classical and world/folk/traditional for me.

For classical, I really enjoy late classical and early romantic stuff. Beethoven and Chopin are definitely my favourite composers, but I really do enjoy most classical. I've also been listening to a bit of opera lately and enjoying that as well.

As for folk stuff, I like bands with strong traditional influence. Mediaeval Baebes, Garmarna, Hedningarna, Ladysmith Black Mambazo...

Since I have almost lost all interest in metal, which I am sure I will gain back, I have dived into indie rock. Which is a term that is as broad as saying that you like metal music because than you fall to talk about all the sub-genres. I personally think people miss out on a lot of good current music if they drive into indie rock.

I'd be more interested in indie rock if my mental image of it weren't one of a bunch of wimpy neo-hippies who seem to revel in their emotional fragility. That class of music seems to epitomise everything that is the opposite of balls. Feel free to point me toward some exceptions, Alter.