Your Favorite Non-Metal Genre?

Favorite Non-Metal Music?

• Total voters
I'd be more interested in indie rock if my mental image of it weren't one of a bunch of wimpy neo-hippies who seem to revel in their emotional fragility. That class of music seems to epitomise everything that is the opposite of balls. Feel free to point me toward some exceptions, Alter.

I thought Indie rock bands were just bands that are with independent record labels. Hence the name.

I'd be more interested in indie rock if my mental image of it weren't one of a bunch of wimpy neo-hippies who seem to revel in their emotional fragility. That class of music seems to epitomise everything that is the opposite of balls. Feel free to point me toward some exceptions, Alter.

Ummm,

Interpol(Start with the first two)
Deerhunter
Spoon
Elliott Smith
Bright Eyes
Animal Collective
Panda Bear
Blonde Redhead
Fuck Buttons
Iron and Wine

I thought Indie rock bands were just bands that are with independent record labels.

Their is a certain mind-frame and sound with it that is connected with the tag.

I've been loving the fuck out of zeuhl music more than anything that non-metal has to offer. I'm only starting to delve into it and have so far listened to but a few bands but they're all great.This is the kind of music that I can put on anytime and enjoy. Rhythmically captivating and highly energetic stuff. Experimental rock at its most exciting

jazz/funk fusion and proggy stuff, its the only stuff that holds my interest anymore.

where is the hip hop choice? seriously, real underground hip hop is pretty damn awesome.

I would say goth(ic) and related styles would be my favourite, followed by industrial or the darker variety of electronic music.

My most listened to non-metal is probably hip-hop at the moment, disappointing that it's not up there.

Edit: And funk should be up there as well

I'm a big fan of 90's alternative rock and grunge as well.

Same! Also a semi-big classic rock fan though I never listen to it on the comp, I do like it though. Most of what I listen to is metal, some noise, and Ozric Tentacles (prog/space rock/techno/etc.)

"Hold The Line" SLAYS!

80s hard rock and pop for sure! I also really like glam though I consider the majority of bands metal (with a few exceptions) anyway.