Your Favorite Non-Metal Genre?

Favorite Non-Metal Music?

• Total voters
I can hear heads exploding as we speak.

Hahaha. That happens a lot when I'm around.

As far as grunge and 2nd wave black metal, I wouldn't say the connection is so much musical as it is ideological. I could imagine Kurt Cobain recording all the parts himself like Varg Vikernes; might be very, very different sounds but equally minimalistic. I guess grunge got really commercail really quickly when it caught on, but at the start it was very raw and counter-culture like 2nd wave black metal was.

As far as Eminem and Pantera, it's pretty obvious. They both have a near-identicle "i'm a fucking badass" attitude, they both frequently say "fuck the world" and various variations on that theme, they both champion drug use, both are violent, both discuss their fans as a movement and perhaps best of all they both have an inclination to attack the media. Phil's more hardcore singing would work perfectly in a heavy rapcore band.

:kickass:

edit: oh yeah and Pantera/Eminem also frequently have autobiographical lyrics, particularly about their past and how they used to get beat up. And they frequently critique public perceptions, like Pantera tearing into religion in Fucking Hostile and Eminem tearing into inconsistencies between rap's reception in white areas compared to black like in The Way I Am and White America. They both also talk about killing themselves and they both are constantly irreverent.

A lot of it is light and cheery. But then he has shit like his Requiem, which far from being light or cheery and is absolutely amazing.

/thread hijack
Anyone wanna recommend some more like that? I love choirs in classical music, and I love pieces with such a dark atmosphere. Moar? Masses and choral music in general pwn.

yup... Mozart has lots of 'light' music but he also has some really intense and powerful music also.

if you like his reqiuem you should check out his Mass in C minor... absolutely one of the greatest works of art EVER! the kyrie is one of the most heart rending and beautiful pieces of music i know of... the soprano solo is so amazing... the rest of the work is also very powerful though not as dark as the reqiuem.

Ow, ermm.. It's country, yeah.. But I don't know many American artists apart from the obvious ones.. But I dislike Johnny Cash for his voice which sounds like.. Ermm.. Like someone was putting something up his arse and he didn't really want to screw the record by having some awesome orgasm or something so he holds it but no it will never be the same again.. They do it everytime though.. But I don't know it for sure so don't take me wrong..

:kickass:

I'm sure I'll like kraut-rock lots as well,but so far I've only listened to Can, who are kind of inconsistent. Ege Bamyasi is one amazing album, though.

I know a girl who loves bob marley and i've had to listen to that shit and it's fucking awful. Fuck that shit!

I have to say, reggae's pretty boring stuff. Probably helps to be stoned while listening to it.