Your Favorite Non-Metal Genre?

Favorite Non-Metal Music?

• Total voters
Been listening to them a ton lately. Mainly as background music, though. :p They're damn good at what they do, but they also do it to death.

Have they ever done a song/album with vocals? I'd like to hear one.

They have a couple songs with vocals. One is "Iscence" off Erpland which features full vocals and the other is "Disolution (The Clouds Disperse)" on Pungent Effulgent (which is mainly just talking over the song).

And yeah, they can be repetitive but I've also learned to find the beauty in very many SINGLE songs of theirs.

seems Iam in the minority but
I like Punk/hardcore (esp. thrash influenced hardcore :p))
most of non-metal genres. I also like gothic-(doom) Rock
but Iam not so into other genres..:)

I find that I tend to like bands who mix in non-metal into the music a little bit (Dripping, Nachtmystium, Clitoridus Invaginatus, Soils of Fate), but the bands purely of those genres do not have the intensity to keep me interested long.

I like heavy classical, not the cheery Mozart style but the more dark stuff like Bach, Brams, and Beethoven. I also enjoy some movie soundtracks, and the sound of the orchestra live is an amazing experiance, everyone must experiance it in their lifetimes.

I get really picky about non-metal genres. I like some prog rock and hard rock bands, but not many. I used to like classic rock, but I don't have any albums really. I like Elliott Smith, but think Iron and Wine is trash.

I like to see live blues and jazz, but I don't listen to it at home.

A lot of it is light and cheery. But then he has shit like his Requiem, which far from being light or cheery and is absolutely amazing.

/thread hijack
Anyone wanna recommend some more like that? I love choirs in classical music, and I love pieces with such a dark atmosphere. Moar? Masses and choral music in general pwn.

Hmm well let's see... As far as dominance in my collection goes, Classic Rock is the strongest. But a lot of that is material I bought before I listened to anything post-1980; I was desperate, so probably 25% of it is stuff I never listened to very much and may well never listen to again.

Classic Rock is definetly my favorite outside of metal what with artists like Pink Floyd, Neil Young, The Doors, and Tom Petty. But I've been listening to most of that stuff for many years and so I'm not crazy about it, I just like it. Grunge is the non-metal genre that is "coolest" to me but when I try to sit down and listen to it again it often seems archaic (iow too soft), with the exception being With The Lights Out.

I listen to a lot of folk, but mainly coming from Classic Rock artists such as Bob Dylan and Neil Young. Oh, yeah, and how could I forget rap? Eminem and Immortal Technique are 2 of my current favorite artists out of any genre. Rap is very hit or miss for me, even my 3rd and 4th favorites (Dr. Dre and Necro) are artists I love but only occasionally listen to. I think rap might have the greatest lyrics of any genre, but I find that it loses its impact very quickly.

My basic rule is... anything with a guitar and/or lyrics which doesn't fall under the category of "easy-listening" is cool with me. Not literally, but I think eventually I'll probably tolerate literally anything with those criteria.

As for the connection between my favorite non-metal genres and my favorite metal genres... I guess there's kind of a connection, to an extent. I'd call Pantera and Metallica two of the most Classic Rock-esque metal bands except that I'm not a diehard fan of Sabbath, Priest, Maiden, or Motorhead. Not *yet*, at least. Some may disagree but I'd say some grunge bands connect to 2nd wave black metal with the mutual minimalism and rawness. I'd also say that Pantera's lyrics are a lot like Eminem's.