Classical recommendations

MorphineChild205

Lt. Horatio Caine
Jun 20, 2003
Chicago
Listening to all this Symphony X has really got me wanting to check out some classical work, particularly the darker and minor-themed pieces. Does anyone have any good classical suggestions that are similar to or have influenced Symphony X? Thanks!

Listening to all this Symphony X has really got me wanting to check out some classical work, particularly the darker and minor-themed pieces. Does anyone have any good classical suggestions that are similar to or have influenced Symphony X? Thanks!

Mmm

Let me think...I have been a "classical" music fan since i was i kind, i think i can suggest the following "dark" works:

Bach - Mass in B minor

Mozart - Requiem in D minor

Beethoven - Egmont Overture, Corolian Overture, Symphonies 5 and 9,Piano Concerto in C minor. Piano Sonata "Pathetique"

Schubert - Symphonies 4, 8 and 9.

Mendelssohn - Symphony num 3 (Kamelot uses the first movement in one song called "Siege"). Overture "The Hebrides". Vilon Concerto in E minor.

Brahms - "Tragic" Overture.

Holst - Suite "The Planets"

Scriabin - Preludes for Piano Op 11. Etudes for Piano Op 42.

You will find Symphony X has used some of those works.

If you want to know the best recordings PM me.

Hope this help

Thanks for the suggestions, Luis! I will now enjoy listening to these and figuring out what Symphony X songs they have inspired. Also, thanks for the Church of the Machine harmony in the other thread!

soundgarden said:
YOu should also check out the finale to Stravinsky's Firebird...

A cool piece, but if you want to hear something really metal, check out Rite of Spring. I'd really love to hear Romeo and LePond tearing it up on that one...

Hmmz, It's not really pure classical but give Dimmu Borgir - Death Cult Armageddon a try. This cd is nothing short of amazing and loaded with ultra medlodic classical stuff. It's all done with the infamous 50 piece prague orchestra. I know not many prog fans can withstand the blackmetal vocals but if you give it enough time you might learn to like it. I sure did and I didn't want anything to do with that stuff in the past. BTW this cd also has brilliant clean vocals as well.

The Ruler said:
Hmmz, It's not really pure classical but give Dimmu Borgir - Death Cult Armageddon a try. This cd is nothing short of amazing and loaded with ultra medlodic classical stuff. It's all done with the infamous 50 piece prague orchestra. I know not many prog fans can withstand the blackmetal vocals but if you give it enough time you might learn to like it. I sure did and I didn't want anything to do with that stuff in the past. BTW this cd also has brilliant clean vocals as well.

I think Mustis will be a great composer one day..for like Movies or something his work is soo incredible

Mussorgsky - A Night On The Bald Mountain, Dukes - The Sorcerers Apprentice, Dvorak - New World Symphony, Prokofiev - Romeo and Juliet, Verdi - Requiem, that's all I can think
of now.

dargormudshark said:
I think Mustis will be a great composer one day..for like Movies or something his work is soo incredible
yeah tho I sure hope he'll stay with Dimmu

Here's some cool stuff I've been listening to that you should check out sometime:

Bruckner - Te Deum
Bruckner - Symphony no. 4
Samson and Delilah
Respighi - Pines of Rome
Final Fantasy VIII - Liberi Fatali (intense. really awesome)

By the way, I'm new here. What's up to everyone :)

soundgarden said:
YOu should also check out the finale to Stravinsky's Firebird and Mussorgsky's Grate Gate of Kiev.

anything by Mussorgsky...especially Pictures at an Exhibition (which contains the Great Gate of Kiev).

Robert W Smith composed some cool pieces

unknown said:
anything by Mussorgsky...especially Pictures at an Exhibition (which contains the Great Gate of Kiev).

YAY! :headbang: Great Gate of Kiev is SOOO \m/

:Spin: Welcome to the forums greenaxer! :Spin:

Welcome greenaxer!

I read your location and now I have the song stuck in my head... "Out in the west Texas town of El Paso... I fell in love with a Mexican girl..." :)