Scorpions with The Michaels Schenker Group - Rosemont Theatre

nomisofsiman

Sep 19, 2008
Wheaton, IL
So last night I went to the Scorpions show with The Michael Schenker Group at the Rosemont Theatre in Rosemont, IL. I gotta say it was one of the best shows I've been to. I didn't know this before going, but I guess this was the only stop on The Scorpions US tour that had MSG opening, so I felt pretty damn lucky for that.

Anyways, MSG was pretty damn good and had a good set list. Michael's playing and tone was fantastic and his backing band was pretty good too as it also included Carmine Appice on drums. The only problem with the entire set and it's something I'm iffy on with some of the MSG studio material is Gary Barden. I think most of the studio stuff with him is pretty good, but last night he just wasn't all that great. He tried to get the audience involved, but the problem is he tried to involve them too much it seemed, as if he would've rather had the audience sing most of the songs instead of him. Also, when he sang he wouldn't hit every lyric and couldn't get nearly as high as on the studios. It was even harder at times when he was doing the UFO covers. However, the main appeal to MSG has always been Schenker who was fantastic. Below was the setlist:

Armed and Ready
Cry For The Nations
Let Sleeping Dogs Lie
Are You Ready To Rock?
Into The Arena
Lights Out (UFO cover)
On and On
Doctor Doctor (UFO cover)
Rock Bottom (UFO cover)

Scorpions obviously were next and they were flawless. Fucking loud as hell though. :lol: Considering I've been to Ozzfest and American Carnage Tour this week, and I consider this one of the loudest shows I've ever been to says a lot. Really good setlist. My only complaint of the entire set, beyond no 70s material pre-Animal Magnetism (which I knew would be the case) was that they didn't play "Humanity" or "Hour 1" off of the previous album which definitely did surprise me. However, they made it up by (as expected) having Michael Schenker play with them on stage during "Another Piece of Meat" which was awesome. They also had Carmine Appice join in as the main drummer during "No One Like You". Overall, absolutely fantastic show that I won't be forgetting any time soon and was so glad I was able to go to this. Still weird for them to play at that venue though. Haha. Here is their setlist:

Sting In The Tail
Make It Real
Bad Boys Running Wild
The Zoo
Coast To Coast
Loving You Sunday Morning
The Best Is Yet To Come
Wind Of Change
Holiday
Raised on Rock
Tease Me Please Me
Another Piece of Meat (with Michael Schenker)
Kottack Attack (drum solo)
Blackout
Six String Sting (Guitar Solo-Mathias Jabs)
Big City Nights
Encore:
Still Loving You
No One Like You (With Carmine Appice)
Rock You Like A Hurricane

Man I am so jealous, I am a HUGE Scorpions, UFO and MSG fan. I've seen Scorpions 3x and can attest put on a phenomenal show. Sucks about the vocals for MSG, perhaps it's time for Barden to retire from the live circuit. I'd love to see Michael do a headlining show with his catalog of songs he has to choose from.

That is so cool! I am jealous!
We saw the Scorps out here in LA...they had Cinderella opening up for them...I must say Cinderella was awesome! I was so shocked as I had never really given them a chance before...great bluesy rock.
And the Scorpions were in top form... the stage production was amazing and the guys played with such great energy...loved the setlist too... they dedicated "Send Me an Angel" to Ronnie James Dio and I had to keep myself from crying.

That sounds absolutely awesome.... Unfortunately, I missed Scorpions this time as I was in Sweden when they played Tampa. Your show sounds absolutely stunning. :worship:

Sounds like a great gig! You definitely got to see something special with bothe Schenker brothers playing, even if for only one song....I still haven't been to that venue...I've heard it's pretty nice!

I've been lucky enough to catch the Scorpions at least 10 times over the years going back to either the Love at First Sting or World Wide Live tour all the way up to twice on their recent tour and they've always been amazing. They're every bit as good now as they've ever been. One of the best live acts on the planet.

Recently I saw them in Dallas (with Ratt) and in Oklahoma City at the Rock N America festival. MSG played the same day as the Scorpions and they had (original Scorpions drummer) Herman Rarebell come onstage to do "Lights Out" with them. Gary Bardin sounded great that night, guess you saw him on an off night. The side of the stage was "sold out" when Michael Schenker played as all the other artists filled it to watch him. MSG was the second day of a 3 day fest and some bands stayed an extra day and others got there a day early to catch his set. Tracii Guns and Warren DiMartini were watching on one side, Cinderella cut their press conference short to go watch, Lizzy Borden were in front of the stage in the pit with fans, Rudolph Schenker, Eddie Trunk and others all watched in awe. It was amazing to see the amount of respect Michael commanded from his peers.

Michael also got onstage and played "Another Piece of Meat" with the Scorpions and Herman Rarebell got behind the kit for "No One Like You" while Carmine and Kottack played tambourines.

I was also disappointed not to hear anything from Humanity: Hour 1. I thought that was a great album and was disappointed they never toured here for it. The setlist was good but considering it might be the last time I see them I wish I could've heard a few of my favorites that I've never heard them do live like "In Trance," "Always Somewhere" or "Lady Starlight." Still it was a fantastic show and extra special since the "family reunions" usually only take place in Europe. Too bad they didn't get Uli Jon Roth for the show too though.

In case anyone cares the other bands that played were Twisted Sister (also one of the best live acts on the planet. They played Rainbow's "Long Live Rock and Roll" for Ronnie James Dio as an encore and Dee nailed it!), Great White, Cinderella, Lizzy Borden, Firehouse, Ratt, Warrant, Axe, Sweet, Steelheart, Lita Ford, Slaughter with special guest Vince Neil, Pretty Boy Floyd, Dokken, Lynch Mob, Tracii Guns L.A. Guns, Faster Pussycat, Trixter, Gilby Clarke, John Corabi, Dirty Penny and Bullet Boys.

I've been lucky enough to catch the Scorpions at least 10 times over the years going back to either the Love at First Sting or World Wide Live tour all the way up to twice on their recent tour and they've always been amazing. They're every bit as good now as they've ever been. One of the best live acts on the planet.

Recently I saw them in Dallas (with Ratt) and in Oklahoma City at the Rock N America festival. MSG played the same day as the Scorpions and they had (original Scorpions drummer) Herman Rarebell come onstage to do "Lights Out" with them. Gary Bardin sounded great that night, guess you saw him on an off night. The side of the stage was "sold out" when Michael Schenker played as all the other artists filled it to watch him. MSG was the second day of a 3 day fest and some bands stayed an extra day and others got there a day early to catch his set. Tracii Guns and Warren DiMartini were watching on one side, Cinderella cut their press conference short to go watch, Lizzy Borden were in front of the stage in the pit with fans, Rudolph Schenker, Eddie Trunk and others all watched in awe. It was amazing to see the amount of respect Michael commanded from his peers.

Michael also got onstage and played "Another Piece of Meat" with the Scorpions and Herman Rarebell got behind the kit for "No One Like You" while Carmine and Kottack played tambourines.

I was also disappointed not to hear anything from Humanity: Hour 1. I thought that was a great album and was disappointed they never toured here for it. The setlist was good but considering it might be the last time I see them I wish I could've heard a few of my favorites that I've never heard them do live like "In Trance," "Always Somewhere" or "Lady Starlight." Still it was a fantastic show and extra special since the "family reunions" usually only take place in Europe. Too bad they didn't get Uli Jon Roth for the show too though.

In case anyone cares the other bands that played were Twisted Sister (also one of the best live acts on the planet. They played Rainbow's "Long Live Rock and Roll" for Ronnie James Dio as an encore and Dee nailed it!), Great White, Cinderella, Lizzy Borden, Firehouse, Ratt, Warrant, Axe, Sweet, Steelheart, Lita Ford, Slaughter with special guest Vince Neil, Pretty Boy Floyd, Dokken, Lynch Mob, Tracii Guns L.A. Guns, Faster Pussycat, Trixter, Gilby Clarke, John Corabi, Dirty Penny and Bullet Boys.

I remember seeing setlists of other shows where they played stuff from Humanity Hour 1. I'm guessing the inclusion of Michael Schenker and possibly Carmine Appice was probably what axed (no pun intended) those songs out. I know for a fact they at least toured in Chicago for Humanity Hour because I sold some tickets for it thru Ticketmaster when I worked at FYE. Didn't know any of their material back then though.

I'm with you though, I would've loved to have heard some of the earlier 70s stuff. That's my favorite era of the Scorpions, but I understand why they don't do it since that wasn't exactly a time they were popular. Still would've been nice to have seen a song or two from that era though.

For some great Michael Schenker Group material check out the new release of a live performance off their 30th Anniversary Japan Tour. The show has a great track list highlighting all stages of Schenker's career and is avaiable on CD, DVD, and Blu-ray.

Check it out here:
http://www.seeofsound.com/p.php?s=INAK6185-1DVD

Scorps were great when I saw them back in Nashville. I'd love to see them with Schenker. He's definitely a great guitarist. What's funny is, as much a fan I am of his, I don't own any of his MSG material. Any recommendations?

Scorps were great when I saw them back in Nashville. I'd love to see them with Schenker. He's definitely a great guitarist. What's funny is, as much a fan I am of his, I don't own any of his MSG material. Any recommendations?

Start with the first album THE MICHAEL SCHENKER GROUP and then grab the second one, confusingly titiled MSG, followed by the live set ONE NIGHT AT BUDOKAN. Here are some links but you can find better prices than Amazon on those titles:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Michael-Schenker-Group/dp/B00003ZKS1/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1282769991&sr=1-3[/ame]

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Msg-Michael-Schenker/dp/B001LYD2K4/ref=ntt_mus_ep_dpi_1[/ame]

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Night-Budokan-Michael-Schenker-Group/dp/B0000011OR/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1282769991&sr=1-7[/ame]

I really like ASSAULT ATTACK but Graham Bonnet's vocals are a bit of an acquired taste; ROCK WILL NEVER DIE is really good too but the mix sounds a bit thin to my ears; if you like those let me know and I'll recommend some of the more recent albums...

Regarding Bonnet and MSG... Did Graham ever perform live with the band? I know the stories leading into the Reading Festival and Barden's return to MSG, but I'm curious if Graham Bonnet did any shows prior to Reading (and ideally if any live recordings exist).

Poking around the web, looking for MSG tourdates from 1982, I've learned nothing useful.

Regarding Bonnet and MSG... Did Graham ever perform live with the band? I know the stories leading into the Reading Festival and Barden's return to MSG, but I'm curious if Graham Bonnet did any shows prior to Reading (and ideally if any live recordings exist).

Poking around the web, looking for MSG tourdates from 1982, I've learned nothing useful.

I think he played live with them just briefly, after that embarrassing incident you refer to I believe he was "booted" *haha*