Scott Atkins & Sacred Mother Tongue - The Ruin of Man (2009)

Josh Burgess

Feb 18, 2008
Tampa, FL
Any of you guys heard this album? My main reason for checking it out is that I'm a big fan of Andy James... that dude is a fucking phenomenal guitar player, and I love his solo stuff, so I wanted to check out his band's album to see what it was like...

First, I'm not a big fan of the singing on the album... too grunge/"alt rock" for my personal tastes, just not into that style of singing too much, but other than that it's pretty cool... some catchy songs and awesome guitar playing, but what surprised me the most is the production. The mix is REALLY good. So, I looked it up and saw that Scott Atkins did it. I think this guy is going to get pretty popular in the future. The mix is very Sneap-ish... flat out awesome guitar tone.

Anybody here check it out? I suggest you do if you haven't... the songs overall are probably a little too metalcore for a lot of people here, but anyone who knows Andy James should know what kind of shred to expect, and it's worth checking out just for the production...

The mix is very Sneap-ish.

Indeed... very Sneap-ish qualities to a lot of his mixes. His workflow seems very similar, and I know he's worked with Sneap enough to at least man the helm for recording gtrs @ Backstage with Cradle of Filth while Andy was doing Exodus (or was it 'deth? I dont remember) over here.

Sylosis' Conclusion of an Age is another great example of his stellar work, and I can't wait to hear the next one! Will definitely check out this album, though.

His work on the Ignominious Incarceration album was awesome.

I've got one of Sacred Mother Tongue's first EPs, pretty cool, i saw them support a metallica tribute band like 4 years ago haha