Screaming/Growling........

Lanterns

1 girl in her cups
May 5, 2003
East Bumblefuck
Well, since I really admire Tairrie B (www.myruin.com) and Angela Gossow, I thought why not try to scream myself....just like some ppl did I tried to scream along to some My Ruin....and it does kick ass....
I just would like to know if anyone has advice on screaming, or any screaming experiences to share etc. By the way, just like Tairrie B I never really took singing lessons. And Tairrie is known as the scream queen ;)

It's cool... but I warn you... screaming will ruin your vocal chords. It's like the equivalent to using a nickel or quarter as a guitar pick. Anyway, as you get older, it takes longer to repair the vocal chords.
I sing and I have tried screaming... No way, not good!!! If you need advice on actual singing.. message me. Talk to you later
: )

Just as it is with singing, when screaming/growling, don't tighten your throat. I used to do that to get a sort of Dimmu Borgir sound, and I got quite good at it, but I also had a lot of throat trouble and would lose my voice a little too often. Finally a friend told me to just act like I was singing while growling, and now I'm more along the lines of a dry Chris Barnes.

Anyway, point is, take care of your throat.

Thanx DarkNoise...but talking about taking care of your throat...I'm always wondering what all those growlers who smoke like crazy do to take care of their throats...I mean okay, smoking's bad for your throat, and Tairrie quit long ago, and Angela also recently quit...
But then there are those like Chris Barnes...he smokes TONS of weed and still has a killer voice.
I'm a bit confused I must say...