Screamo band with real drums

s34nsm411

May 3, 2004
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2093596/bob_tooyoungtodie_154.mp3

Having trouble wrapping up this mix for a friend's band... what do you guys think?

some info... all guitars tracked with amp heads but DI using impulse. drums were tracked live in a nice room. bass is also di with impulses through some ampeg rack head. screaming vox with sm7b, clean vox through rode nt1a

any critiques would be much appreciated! ive hit that point where ive heard the damn mix too much haha

Snare is thin, needs more body and less highs. Other than that it's PRO. Though drums could use some more punch overall but since it's natural drums it's really good. Did you blend samples and replace 100% the kick? Clean interludes are really great but when guitars kick in they lack power, kick is a tad buried and could use some more 'humph'.

The drums are definitely papery sounding, which is very odd for one of your mixes, considering I generally love your drum sounds, and the guitars are oddly muffled in the high mids, but have a presence boost toward the very top end.

how you get this scream vocal sound ?
nice mix, but maybe you try mixing real snare with punchy sample ?

heres another song, reworked the drums to try and make them more natural/less papery... improvement? http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2093596/bob_neverenough_120.mp3

born_dead: the guy screaming had a pretty unique scream... basically belting it very hard every take, probably has something to do with the vox sound. other than that i compressed it a good amount and used a little soundtoys decapitator. band is called 'Bet on Black'

Clean vocals sound great!

What verbs and delays are you using on the clean vocals? Also how are you using them (bussing stuff to a aux or on the vocal track itself with wet/dry mix)?

Also do you just have the singer do a cretin harmony over everything. Like a 3rd and then a low octave? Everything sounds harmonized and i really dig it.

Clean vocals sound great!

What verbs and delays are you using on the clean vocals? Also how are you using them (bussing stuff to a aux or on the vocal track itself with wet/dry mix)?

Also do you just have the singer do a cretin harmony over everything. Like a 3rd and then a low octave? Everything sounds harmonized and i really dig it.

thanks! the vox for this project I had a quarter note lowpass delay pretty strong for the most part and some long hall reverb, probably like -17db send for delay and -19 for verb. always using sends not inserts

for the harmonies we usually did a low 3rd and a high 3rd (if it was possible, some of the lead melodies were just too high already), and then usually a 3rd harmony that is like a "character" harmony, usually just a cool melody that sounded good with the other harmonies/lead but not using the same notes... the lead singer does a lot of songwriting and was very good at coming up with harmonies

can u give some info on them? what were they replaced with?

for the snare I made a blend of slate12az3, slate11az5, the original top and bottom snare mic, and the paramore rockband snare

for the kick i used a kick from a rockband thrice song, slatekick10z1, and the original kick mic

toms were slate fat toms z3 mixed with the respective z5 sample

hope this helps!