Bill Ward's Red Pants
Oct 21, 2003
The Southland
sonofnun7.wordpress.com
Scythe-The Process of Rotting
Witches Brew–BREW011-2004
By Josh Phillips

scythebrew011.jpg

Scythe originally formed in 1994 and then began to release a number of demos and establish a fan base. In 2004, the band celebrated their 10th Anniversary and The Process of Rotting is a commemorative release containing material from across their back catalogue. There are 11 tracks here, all from previous releases and re-recorded for this one. Songs 2,3,5,6 and 7 are from the Last Eclipse demo, 4,8,10 and 11 are from the Silent is the Future release and track 9 is from the Son of the Winter demo. The first song is only a brief introduction. The band plays old school death metal, but they don't completely limit themselves to that style. Scythe also includes some black metal touches and quite a few atmospheric elements to enhance their overall sound.

"Disinclination" gets things rolling with the old school death metal attack these veterans have pinned down. About halfway in, the song really picks up. When you hear "Years ago, in the light of day, I realized the path in the snow," you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. The band grinds out a massive groove here, but it can't compare to what they construct on the next track, "The Tomb." This is a great song from beginning to end and about 2:10 in showcases a section that reminds me of Darkthrone's "Hate is the Law" from their latest album. After a short, atmospheric break later in the track, the band kicks the opening riff back into gear and slays the listener completely. "Path in the Snow" is the first song we hear from Silent is the Future. After a melodic intro, the piece swirls back into the chaotic sound patented on "Disinclination." The band mixes these two elements well in the song, coming back to the somber opening piece throughout. "Sabotage of My Youth" is another monster in the vein of "The Tomb" where a massive groove just crushes the listener from the start. This one should get anybody's neck moving at some point. "Solitude" begins with some ringing, dissonant harmonies and clean vocals and returns to this segment again later in the song, packing standard death metal in around those pieces. "Beneath the Sun" takes a more epic, melodic and flowing approach. "Son of the Winter" features the most black metal influences by far with higher-pitched vocals and icy guitars. The general song structure and formula doesn't change much though, so this is still undeniably Scythe, but playing a predominately black metal style and playing it well. "Silent is the Future" may be the crowning achievement of the album as it brings together a little bit of every style the band plays into one long, epic piece. It focuses heavily on the atmospheric side of things and is a little taste of the final track, "Norske Skoger," a purely instrumental outro with samples of rain and thunder. A fitting way to end the album.

All in all, this is simply an excellent release and serves as a great introduction to the band or a nice compilation of older material for fans. Extreme metal with atmosphere and groove, this one can pound you into the ground or lift you into the sky. Scythe is a band I would recommend anyone look into. Give this one a try, it has something that just about any metalhead will enjoy.

8.75/10

Official Scythe Website
Official Witches Brew Website

I didn't know much about this band but I'm gonna look this up for sure! These evil cats sound like my cup of grue! :D