SD album update...

DemonJames

Fallen Demon
May 7, 2002
Seattle, WA USA
As promised, some news about the forthcoming Shadow Demon album.

As of last night the drum recording is complete for nine songs that will be on the album. Jay has done an outstanding job bringing the songs to life in a way that Jeff and I hadn't conceived when we mapped out the basic drum-feel ages ago. I can honestly say that the final product will be something definitely familiar, definitely metal but something a bit different and hopefully cool for current and new listeners of SD.

I’d like to also mention that we have the cover artwork done and a name for the album has been chosen…which of course will all be revealed in due time. The cover and booklet art has been done by Mattias Norèn who has done art for dozens and dozens of albums including bands such as Kamelot, Evergrey, Into Eternity, and others. I’m sure he’d be happy to have you check out his site at www.progart.com.

We’ll have more updates and hopefully other cool stuff in the coming weeks so keep checking back. Of course any questions or comments are always welcome.

Heres a question - why does mexican food always burn on the way out?

Heres a comment - I think I will go pleasure myself in excitement over the thought of new Shadow Demon material *rubs hands together*

:kickass:

Just thought I'd pop in with a mini-update. Tonight we worked on setting the guitar tone for the rhythm guitar tracks on the album. For those who heard the pre-production guitar sample track awhile back on the old forum, I think it is similar but with some added brightness that gives it a good cut while retaining the overal beefy sound.

I think it sounds pretty awesome. It is also Blaine, James and Rob (Death Is Certain) approved.

WHOA! COOL! WICKED! I HAD NO IDEA YOU WERE DOING TONE LAST NIGHT!

But seriously, i'm really excited because i know you guys have good songs even in the very rough stages, and i'm looking forward t the album for sure.

DoomsdayZach said:
WHOA! COOL! WICKED! I HAD NO IDEA YOU WERE DOING TONE LAST NIGHT!

But seriously, i'm really excited because i know you guys have good songs even in the very rough stages, and i'm looking forward t the album for sure.

The album is really turning out well. I'm actually quite suprised on how awesome it sounds with just the drums and the guitar scratch track. Some songs that I thought weren't going to be that great are actually turning out much better than I expected.

I have a little break while Jeff and James lay down their tracks, I'm really looking forward to hearing how much better the songs sound with the final bass and guitar takes! :headbang:

tbhride said:
Burn some tubes Jeff!!!!
SHHHH!!!

We were actually sweating tubes last night after his head was making quite a but of noise...which is normal for the Soldano at the volume level we had it at. But we were paranoid for a while... "Shit, do we need new preamp tubes already?"

Which reminds me...

Note to self: order more tubes

The pre-amp tubes shouldn't burn out so easily but I do have extra pre- and output tubes that were replaced but are still good should any of the current tubes crap out (which isn't likely).

tbhride said:
Burn some tubes Jeff!!!!

The master volume is at 10, so they are burning. Of course if I decide I need that extra edge it can still go to 11.

Other than a short "clean" guitar part which will be recorded on Wednesday, all the rhythm guitars are done for the album. I think James is maybe 80% done with the bass parts and Blaine's vocals are about 70% or so. Lead guitars are 0%, but Ryan should begin laying those down in about a week.

I also have some back up vocals I need to get around to doing for a couple songs and I think James may be laying down some as well.

Here's another take on progress:
  • All drum tracks are complete
  • Gutars will be completed this week (as Jeff said, all that's left is a few clean parts)
  • Bass will be completed this weekend
  • Main vocals will be very likely completed early next week (Monday, I think)
  • There are a few backup vocal things that will likely be cut in the next two weeks or so.
  • Guitar solos start next week.
  • Cover art is done.
  • CD booklet is 95% done with just some text adjusting needed once we make a few final decisions.
  • We're having one additional artisitic thing done related to the logo which will be done in August (as the artist is on vacation).
  • What I would call large-scale mixing and editing is well under way with a number of songs (6 of 9) done. We have the 'sound' for these songs pretty well nailed since, excepting any guitar solos, we have all the parts in place.
  • We have a few options were looking at for advertising, manufacturing and distribution as well as searching for more.
That's all I can think of for now but we're not too far off from releasing some more goodies.

I was hoping that we could show off the cover art soon but obviously the logo work needs to be finished so we'll all just have to wait. I can say that it's a great piece of work and very fitting for the album and the band.