sE Electronics Reflexion filters

HOFX

Apr 12, 2012
Does anyone use them?

What was your experience?

I can't find anything on comparing the difference between the Pro and the cheaper project studio model. Can anyone chime in on this?

In every clips I have heard, they seem to do jack shit or even make things worse.

In every clips I have heard, they seem to do jack shit or even make things worse.

I'm dubious about their effectiveness as well, I've used them several times before but never noticed as large a difference as say using a microphone with more room rejection. If you get a massive rockwool baffle or something that makes a huge difference though - you can really crank the comp without worrying about bad room overtones coming in.

There's mixed reviews of them everywhere.

On gearslutz, it seems they do - as you say - jack shit or make things worse. But then you go on to sweetwater or guitarcenter reviews and they are quite positive.

My theory on this is that people on gearslutz already have a decent tracking room, yet the bedroom wonders who write reviews on guitarcenter websites have reflective rooms that accentuate boxy low-mid frequencies.

The science behind them makes sense, and Paul White (soundonsound) rates them with the proviso that you have a thick blanket set up to catch the reflections coming in from behind.

I think I'm going to pick up the RF-X one this weekend and see if I can return it if it does jack. I might even try to post some samples.

think about the polar-pattern of your mics you want to track vocals with. I guess you are using some cardioid-types, so you can spend your money for much more effective things... some diy-gobos for behind the singers back and side for example.

I have a well-isolated vocal booth, and I have a home-made isolation baffle similar to this. My judgement follows other assertions made here: If you have a good room, the sound will be (at best) unchanged. In a noisy or less-than-ideal environment (like my band's rehearsal space full of other bands in rooms adjoining ours) it can make a huge difference. I've also used it to isolate hi-hats from OH mics for drummers who can't stop bashing them.

That said, you can make them yourself rather easily, and you can find pre-built examples for under $100.

I think they are cool... but NOT for recording vocals. Put that thing between a snare mic and a pair of high hats and it does wonders for bleed. Other than that... meh.

I think they are cool... but NOT for recording vocals. Put that thing between a snare mic and a pair of high hats and it does wonders for bleed. Other than that... meh.

Care to elaborate why they're no good for vocals?

I have the cheap one that I use at home. My room is just a normal small box bedroom with 2 absorbers on opposite walls. It works very well in removing the room from my dodgy shouting. If you have a halfway decent box booth then you don't need a reflection filter. it was designed from bad environments and in those environments it works well.

It definitely works. It's not the ideal or definitive solution for anyone serious about recording, but can save you from too much reflections when tracking vocals in an untreated room or improvised recording situation. I've never tried it on drums, but should be great for isolating hihats.

I went to a shop in town and the guy was all enthusiastic about it until I asked "if I don't get the results I want from it, is it possible for me to return it?" Fair enough question I thought, then he proceeds to talk me out of it and points me towards "The Mic Thing" for $140 more. I took a 5 second look at it and realised I could make it myself for about $50.

So, I'm going to come up with a plan on making my own and maybe do a post with photos documenting it with some before and after sound clips.