sE SE2000 & Budget LDCs..

LiberaScientia

Cat Dad
Apr 19, 2012
Portsmouth, UK
Sup guys, did a search but I couldn't find anything too useful. Anyway, my birthday is coming up so I'm gonna have some spare cash to throw on starting a mic collection. Wanting to start with a cheap but good LDC since vocals is the only thing I can't record at the moment. Gonna have about £100, but I can go used. Was looking at the sE SE2000, it's £70 on thomann, bundled with the shockmount and pop filter. Seems a good deal to me, I've used my college's SE2200A and it was pretty good. Anyone had any experience with it or have any suggestions for other LDCs?

Cheers :)

Maybe you should check out the Shure SM7b?
Seems to be the most-loved cheapish mic there is.
I own one and on some vocalists it just really shines.

Edit: I know its not LDC but worth checking out.

Yeah I'd love an SM7B, but there's no way I could afford one, not even used. They're about £290 new and they seem to go for about £200 used. My budget is £100 tops :p Cheers for the suggestion though, it's definitely on my list when I can afford it.

If you're in the UK it might be worth checking out Red5 mics:
http://www.red5audio.com/

I picked up their budget model for ~£50 a few years back to mess around with at home. I've never had the chance to A/B it with some more expensive mics, but it's built like a tank and comes with a case/shockmount etc.

If you're in the UK it might be worth checking out Red5 mics:
http://www.red5audio.com/

I picked up their budget model for ~£50 a few years back to mess around with at home. I've never had the chance to A/B it with some more expensive mics, but it's built like a tank and comes with a case/shockmount etc.

studio projects b1, bright but seems to work great on vocals.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys, will definitely check them out. Out of curiosity, do you have any clips of them at all?

Thanks for the suggestions, guys, will definitely check them out. Out of curiosity, do you have any clips of them at all?

Sorry, no clips. I intended to use it for recording vocals and acoustic guitars at home, but I've always been able to find my way into a proper studio for tracking. From what I recall it's a bit on the bright side but otherwise a solid mic. Handles quite high SPLs for a LDC too. If I can find some time this weekend I don't mind throwing some acoustic guitar clips together.

The sE2200a ii is an incredible mic. Constantly blown away by it and use it for many different things beyond just vocals. I've also used it on cello, upgright bass, overheads, room mics, electric and acoustic guitars, etc.

You'd get a lot of options with that one mic and it's been used by Amy winehouse.