Drum Overheads - 2 Mid-Range SDCs vs 2 Upper-End LDCs?

MatrixClaw

May 22, 2010
Mesa, AZ
Alright, so I need to buy some new overheads, since bands are wanting to track live drums lately and I sold my OHs a few months ago to upgrade other things, since I wasn't using them much. My question to you is, since I already have one pretty good LDC, would you rather:

A) Buy a pair of Oktava MK012s/Rode NT-5s, or
B) Buy a second Shure KSM44 (my current vocal condenser), and use both as OHs?

I've really only used SDCs as overheads and I don't have too big of a budget right now to get a really good set of them. I've owned the Oktavas in the past, and they give good results, but I feel like a pair of higher end LDCs might be a better route, though I've never tracked overheads with an LDC (aside from just placing one in a room to record ideas, but not really to use it on a real recording).

What do you guys think? The pair of SDCs will end up costing a bit less than a used KSM44, so the price difference isn't going to be too huge.

I'd go for the better quality LDC. It'll be a bit different than an SDC on OHs and could work out better if you do more than metal, but at worst you'll have to do a bit more filtering of the low end/boosting top end to get cymbal clarity out since I find LDCs to let in more of the kit.

If you eventually do want to get a pair of SDCs, a pair of LDCs on room is a beautiful thing for just about any instrument.

I'd go for the better quality LDC. It'll be a bit different than an SDC on OHs and could work out better if you do more than metal, but at worst you'll have to do a bit more filtering of the low end/boosting top end to get cymbal clarity out since I find LDCs to let in more of the kit.

If you eventually do want to get a pair of SDCs, a pair of LDCs on room is a beautiful thing for just about any instrument.

+1

Cool, that's what I was leaning towards. I wanted to do this with a pair of C414s, but I hadn't seen any at a decent price when I was looking before, and people seem to have pretty mixed opinions on them for vocals, which is what I needed an LDC for mainly.

SDCs have always worked nicely for me, but the ones I really want, I can't afford right now (Beyer MC930), and I figured I could at least make use of a second LDC as room mics later at some point. However, I usually mic acoustic with an SDC and an LDC - How would I fair with two LDCs, instead?