OH mics: NT5, Oktavas MK012, AT ATM450

jangoux

May 9, 2006
So, Ill be looking for new OHs in the near future, and my choice will be between those 3 microphones. For the Oktavas, i just hear good stuff (but it is the most expensive route), and for the others I always hear mixed reviews: The Rode is too bright, too thin, and the Audio Technica is 'meh' on some sources.

I could also go to another different way and just buy another Audio Technica AT4047 and pair it with the other one I have. But it is a LDC mic, and i have no experience whatsoever on LDCs as OHs for rock/metal.

What do you think ?

LDC's tend to have more bleed of toms, snare and kick. I just bought a pair of NT5's, they seem to be great on acoustic guitars too and I like the brightness in overheads :D

DUDE, the ATM450's are INCREDIBLE. For OH mic's in this price range, they are second to none IMO.

GO GET EM

Personally I'd totally be picking up a pair of ATM450's if I had the cash. Seem to make all the drums sound really upfront and in your face, which I like. Though if you're looking for overhead's that are more meant as cymbal mic's then they might not be the best as NT5's seem to be a bit better on that front.

Haven't there been like 5 of these threads in the last month?????

Go for the oktava's

Kinda off. I do not want to know which one to buy, but what were each one experiences with those mics. I ask this because on the studio I work on, we've got KM184s. I never really liked them until i took them to my completely untreated bedroom studio, and it sounded awesome, much better than on the real studio. So i want to know each one's experience with those..

Well if you want to go for good "not so expensive" i'd defenetly go for the Oktava's, with a good preamp they really sound high end. For the more expensive one's i recommend the Shure ksm141. I have never tested the neumann ones but they say that they are bright, but for sure really good