Season Of Fire - Torture Inhibition

dill_the_devil

OneMetal.com Music Editor
Season Of Fire - Torture Inhibition
Goodfellow Records - 2001
By Philip Whitehouse

Visit the Goodfellow Records web site

Bit of an odd one for me, this - while Season Of Fire play a style of music that normally has me bouncing from the walls in paroxyms of ecstacy under normal circumstances, there's something about Torture Inhibition that just fails to move me at all.

Sounding like a cross between Hatebreed and Iron Monkey, Season Of Fire lay on the sludgy riffs and tortured screams with reckless abandon, and manage to occasionally build up a nice, brooding atmosphere with feedback and laid-back riffage (as in the intro to second track 'Bury Me'), but it's all been done before. There's nothing in particular about Season Of Fire that stands out and screams for attention - the potential is there, but the band haven't realised it yet.

Before you get the impression that this is a bad album though, don't. It's a fine example of its type. The music is well-written, the emotion is there, the pacing is there - but after hearing such a significant number of truly innovative bands since I started writing for this site, a band so... well... generic fall a little short to these hardened ears.

Its worth spending your money on if you're a truly dedicated follower of the metalcore or sludgcore genres, but just don't expect to be blown away by startling originality. Overall, it's a good album, but one that left me feeling a little unsatisfied and unfulfilled.

6.5/10