Russell

__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
Necrophagia – The Divine Art Of Torture
Season Of Mist SOM069 17th Feb 2003
By Russell Garwood

Gore’s most prolific adherent Killjoy has certainly been busy - as well as Necrophagia’s latest release through Season of Mist and running his own label, DVD and horror film production company, he has ten (yes, ten) other bands currently on the go. “The Divine Art Of Torture”, the horror metal band’s first album in five years, combines death metal elements with horror-soundtrack sensibilities, eerie effects and slow chugging riffage into a sensory abomination best listened to late at night. Along with these we have versatile, largely death-based drums, Killjoy’s spewed yet varied vox and Mirai Kawashima of Sigh fame providing unsettling instrumental elements. With a six-man line up, Necrophagia have managed to create a relentless, unforgiving recording aptly titled “the soundtrack to your worst nightmare”.

Standout tracks include the discomfiting, non-metal title track, the full-on aggressive barrage that is “Parasite Eye”, and “The Sick Room” for its spooky sounds and metallic mayhem. “The Divine Art Of Torture” is an extremely impressive album – I’m not a huge fan of brutal death metal (or, for that matter any other kind of relentless ferocity), as I usually find myself getting bored. This is not the case with Necrophagia, however; the music has enough changes and interesting elements to keep the listener absorbed throughout. This is highly recommended for all gore metal fans, as well as anyone after top notch aggressive pandemonium. The good news is we won’t have to wait another five years for the next Necrophagia release – the band’s next MCD “Goblin Be Thine” is complete, and “Harvest Ritual”, the following full length, is almost finished.