Necrophagia - Art Of Torture

Perkele

Myself
Aug 27, 2002
In Hell
Necrophagia - Art Of Torture

After 5 years of absence Killjoy and Necrophagia are back with a new album, 'The Divine Art Of Torture'. This album is darker and heavier, filled with horror, as always. Killjoy was questioned about the album, the new line-up, the actual happenings and other related things in order to help you to 'prepare for the soundtrack to your worst nightmare'.

151_3.jpg

- You are just back from a European tour. How did it go?
- We had a great time on the NecroTorture tour. The reaction was really amazing and we want to thank everyone who came out and enjoyed the Horror Show. We played a lot of "Divine Art" as well as older songs.

- I`ve heard you had a horrific stage design. But since the tour didn`t come to Hungary [where Perkele is based - Ed.] could you tell us a bit about this design?
- We have a lot of creepy and sick looking props that adorn our stages but unfortunately we were only able to bring a small part of it on this past tour due to financial restraints. Hopefully in the future we'll be able to bring everything with us. It's really fucking sick and depraved when it's done in its entirety. We're dying to play Hungary as well.

- `The Divine Art Of Torture` is your first full-length in 5 years. What`s been going on with Necrophagia in these years? During this time, have you ever felt it`s been ended for Necrophagia?
- It was a really long wait in between records. It never really came close to ending yet, just stages of dormancy. Now we'll definitely keep alive over the next few years.

- There were some line-up changes in the band, what was the reason for them? Please tell us a few words on the new members, how did they get interested in Necrophagia?
- The reason for the line up change was scheduling conflicts, the inability to tour in the past and various other complications. The new line up is easily the best for Necrophagia. Fug, Frediablo, Iscariah, Mirai and Titta are just fucking amazing songwriters, musicians and great guys. We've all known each other for several years; we are all committed 100% to Necrophagia. They were all into in the band before becoming members and everyone was set on taking things into a more horrific direction.

- The new album sounds a lot heavier and darker to me than the previous Necrophagia releases. Is it the affect of the new members or ... ?
- Thanks! That was definitely our intention, to make the best Necrophagia release ever, its heavier, darker, and more violent and horrific than our past releases. It's definitely due to the new members having a huge part to the songwriting as well as myself doing songwriting for the first time since 1986.
We had a great time writing and recording The Divine Art of Torture. It took nearly 6 months to plan it all out and get everything fine tuned and then we spent another 2 months recording / mixing it. We work relatively quick!

-If somebody woke you up in the night with this question `What comes first to your mind about `The divine art of torture`?`, what would be your answer?
- Coffin Joe. He was the main inspiration for this record in so many different ways.
Each song from the album is a short horror story in itself. My favorite films by Coffin Joe would definitely be his first two. At Midnight I'll Take Your Soul and This Night I'll Possess your Corpse. This album is truly a homage to him.

- The cover art was done by Basil Gogos who is a horror artist. How did you get in touch with him?
- Basil is a true legend, an amazing artist with a real eye for true horror. Susan6 and myself met with Basil in New Jersey; Susan6 basically got everything rolling after that. We were completely honored to work with him and look forward to doing so again in the future

- The cover and booklet is full of spiders and spiders web. Do you like spiders or are you rather afraid of them?
- The spiders fit with the whole Coffin Joe theme, as they are prominent in his films. I like to look at spiders, but not too close ... ha-ha

151_2.jpg

- The opening spoken words of the first track `Blaspheme the body` are from a movie?
- Yeah. It's from the highly underrated film Exorcist III.

- You`ve had a DVD, `Through the eyes of the dead uncut` and if my informations are right you are working on a new one. What will it consist of and when shall we expect it?
- We are currently working on the new DVD titled 'Nightmare Scenarios'. We are working with a number of directors including Coffin Joe. The release should be on Halloween 2003 if all goes according to plan.

- Everybody knows that some bands, like Cannibal Corpse got censored in some places, have you had to deal with similar problems?
- Yeah, we have dealt with lots of censorship in the past, but unlike others, we will not approve alternate covers just to sell more records.

- You`ve been working on a book, `Horror, gore and Exploitation`, if I`m right. What`s up with this book? How long have you been working on it?
- The books been in the final stages for the past 9 years now. I just haven't had the time to update it and do some final editing

- `Fear is the oldest and most honest emotion of mankind` - is a quotation from Lucio Fulci. What made him and his works so special for you?
- Fulci was a true Pioneer and visionary, he took Gore and extreme film making to new levels in the late 70's and early 80's. He's the best in my opinion.

- Could you name your 5 favourite movies of all time?
- Hmmm that's hard to say but I'll give it a try.
The Beyond, The Exorcist, Let's Scare Jessica to Death, Don't Be Afraid of the dark and At Midnight I'll take Your Soul

- What`s your opinion on the American version of `The Ring`?
- Very well done. Great cinematography and visuals, but not as creepy as the Japanese original version.

- You`ve planned to make a movie this summer. Would you tell us about it? Will you compose the soundtrack of the movie as well?
- It's very occult themed, I'll direct it, It will be called harvest Ritual, At this point it looks to be shot in Vancouver, Canada. Enoch and Daemonia will do the soundtrack. I don't want to give too much away right now

- You have been playing in lots of other bands. What`s going on with the active bands you are currently in now?
- I've trying to limit the amount of side projects I am involved in at this point because Necrophagia is my only true priority at this point in time. However Ravenous just finished recording It's next full length release titled Blood Delirium, It will be released very shortly. Wurdulak are set to record our next full length this summer, Enoch has finished its debut, and Hellpig has recorded its first song for the Fulci tribute that I will be releasing.

- I`ve read in some news that a new Necrophagia release `Harvest Ritual` is under way. Haven`t you thought about releasing a double cd, TDAOT and HR together? When is it going to be out?
- No, releasing those two together would have delayed everything by almost a year. We don't want to keep people waiting any longer. 'Harvest Ritual' is about 90% written now, we'll record it in the fall of 2003.

- Tell us about your record and DVD company.
- Both are something that I do out of my passion for music and movies. It gives me a chance to give something back to both mediums; both are controlled by my own personal taste.

151_1.jpg

- I guess you are living horror 24/7. Do you have other interests?
- Horror is my life. My only other interest is my family; it's enough to keep me extremely motivated and happy.

- The history of Necrophagia has started almost 20 years ago. Back then, have you thought the band will be still around in 2003? Horror seems to be an evergreen subject.
- I had no idea I'd still be involved in music 20 years later, it's almost unreal. The future of the band is great at this point. We're definitely going to do At Least one more record. We are not looking too far down the road but we plan on keeping active over the next couple of Years.

- Thank you for the interview. Last words are yours.
- Thanks for your support ! GORE FOREVER ! ! Fulci Lives ! !

Official Necrophagia Website