Second review of Choirs of the Eye

IanDork107

I wrote a book! Buy it!
Sep 9, 2002
Not here.
Is here.

Feel free to link it or just copy the text to your site or do both. Either way, I liked the album very much and writing that review was a fucking challenge.

That was you, Ian? Arggh.

Nahm that was a really good review. I first looked at the ratings and I noticed the 5 for production, and considering the previous two albums, I couldn't think how that could be anything less than a 6, however, you explained it well. I'm curious to see if that bass problem exists. 5.5 on musicianship though? How? Actually, I can't say that, I don't have the album yet (can't find it yet. All the stores are fucking lazy.), but again, going by the last albums, I don't see how that could be below a 6 also.

@Static: Damn you for having that album! You suck.

Well, I don't have many reviews to compare it to, but considering that this album with those scores is my first choice for album of the year, those scores are a good thing. All I'm saying by not giving it a perfect score is that there's a little room for improvement. There's always room for improvement (though in this case, really not too much).

I think I had the second unofficial review, but I didn't want to post a new thread about it because...

a) it's on a metal database

b) it isn't very professionally written (written in 15 minutes before I departed for a hockey game)

c) uh, it's kinda "knob-slobbin'." I feel bad for rating it so high when I've only had the album for a few days, and perhaps reviewing it before I allowed it a chance to fully sink in. Total fanboy-age :(

edit: here's the link for those who would like to bear witness to said journalistic trainwreck! http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=32593

I must say that I would only give Bath and LYBM a 5, or maybe even 4, for production. They don't have a crystal clear sound, but it certainly isn't too bad. Just in comparison to other albums I own they are lacking when it comes to 'Oomph', or what have you, occasionally slightly too muddy. The music is so good that this is a complete non-issue however.

I must say, this new album sounds better production wise...everything is just a little bit clearer and crisper. The only oddity is the vocals, they sound quite different.

Great review of a great album, and kudos for bringing up the awesome album ending. \m/