Seeking Drummer & Keyboardist

usaprogmusic

ProgPowerGRRL
Suspyre is currently trying out musicians for two new positions, seeking a drummer and a keyboardist to fill the line-up of their band for live performances (see below for full audition info).

-----

INFORMATION ABOUT AUDITIONS

Applicants MUST possess the following:

1. A demonstrated ability to play with impeccable timing and accuracy. Knowledge of music theory is a plus.

3. Confidence in themselves but also a willingness to be a team player.

4. Proficiency in playing songs with odd time signatures.

5. Residency in the United States (NJ/PA/NY residency is preferred).

6. At least 18 years old.

7. A familiarity with the SUSPYRE catalog.

8. A flexible work schedule, since should you land the gig you will be asked to do extensive touring with the band and weekend recording sessions.

Drummer must be able to play double bass pedal at the speed of 170 to 180.

Applicants should contact Suspyre's Manager, Jill Hughes at jill@suspyre.com for more information about the audition process. Auditions will be held until positions are filled.

Yeah, I know. I was thinking more along the lines that it's just one more thing that needs to be taken care of. Guess I kinda misspoke.
Regardless, I hope those vacancies get filled quickly. I have no drum or keyboard talent but I would be glad to fill in any other vacant role. Does the band need a designated tamborine or triangle player? :)

Don't underestimate the triangle! ;)
Am I guessing right that the keyboarder will play the "classic" parts? I've never seen Suspyre live, so I wonder how they'll pull of these parts live.

Don't underestimate the triangle! ;)
Am I guessing right that the keyboarder will play the "classic" parts? I've never seen Suspyre live, so I wonder how they'll pull of these parts live.

The role of the keyboard is to provide a playable rendition of the significant orchestral parts on the CDs. In the past, we used a backing track CD, but that was always such a pain to get working (a lot of the time, the CD would start skipping) and a hassle for the drummer, who has to wear headphones and keep everything in time. This is actually very common for bands to do, but it really kills the energy - playing with backing tracks feels like you're doing math homework rather than playing music.

We did one show with a keyboardist (Chicago PowerFest) and other times we just play the parts on guitar (since we have two guitar players). Now it's time to actually get a permanent keyboardist since we're trying to kick it up a notch.

good luck with the search!

I saw Rhapsody screwing up a song live with the backing cd system...
they started an intro, every bandmember was looking like uhhh???
the music stopped...then the singer said "sorry wrong intro" :Smug:
for me that's a sign to get to the bar asap.....

I start thinking one of my fav progbands probably doesn't play live cuz their stuff can't be performed live... don't ask who but they're amazing on cd :headbang:

rawk on!

good luck with the search!

I saw Rhapsody screwing up a song live with the backing cd system...
they started an intro, every bandmember was looking like uhhh???
the music stopped...then the singer said "sorry wrong intro" :Smug:
for me that's a sign to get to the bar asap.....

I start thinking one of my fav progbands probably doesn't play live cuz their stuff can't be performed live... don't ask who but they're amazing on cd :headbang:

rawk on!

Haha...we were always afraid something like that would happen when we used backing tracks.

And yes, it's no secret that we add stuff to our CDs that can't be reproduced live. There are bands that make CDs to support their live shows and there are bands that play shows to help support their CDs. There are quite a few bands (especially in this genre) that have never played live, actually!