SELREM: a collaboration project with Uncle Junior

ahjteam

Anssi Tenhunen
I have been talking to Matic (Uncle Junior) on MSN quite a bit lately and we decided some time a go do a collaboration project. We just decided a tempo (that we eventually raised like 10bpm as it was too slow) and then Matic wanted some slowish but agressive drums.

So then I wrote this more than odd drumpattern, sent it to Matic who then wrote then some riffs and then sent them to me. There was some really cool riffs that I dug, but it was kind of a riff-fest; the structure was a bit too progressive to my taste and lacked repetition, so I rearranged the song a bit differently (including the drums), then picked two of the "key element" riffs that I liked the most and played them with my twist (I like to play a lot more simplified and loosely than Matic). Then I quadtracked them, added a bass and it turned out this mix of Karnivool and Tool with hint of Gojira in there too.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1338211/selrem_v01.mp3

I'm pretty happy with the low end, it makes my floor resonate from the subwoofer.

But this is just a bit work in progress, it need some vocals too. Matic is going to write some leads to it and then we also need to make a a C-part and if the soundscape budges, I guess we'll add some synthstuff in there too just for some flavor.

Any questions or comments?

Song sounds good.
I like the idea of remote collaboration, sounds interesting.
The song has a little too much repetiton for my tastes, will be interested to hear it as it progresses.

Sorry to say dude but this needs a LOT of work. The guitars are overgained, muffled not very tight. The drum sounds really, really fake. Well at least change the velocities a bit.

yeah guys its really first takes, two guitar tracks, will try quading. Me and Anssi will do this 2 version style i guess, one by him and one by me, but musically the same. I'm full of ideas but mixing is kinda new and its hard to do it fast if you're not skilled. My attemp when I recorded the rhytms, but again only basic stuff no real mix, just idea: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1475403/selrem rmix5.wav