Sephardic music

Ilan does your accent in a certain language hinder you from speaking that language?

sorry if I am bothering you with all these questions. because now I really want to know how to improve my english speaking skill its so annoying when you know how to read and understand a language but you cant really speak it.

you're not annoying...to answer your question I'll say what vulcano said just now...gotta practice an accent to master it. and no...the accent doesn't prevent me speaking the language fluently unless I'm not actually fluent in the language in which case there's no point faking an accent and instead I concentrate on choice of words.

when I came to Israel I worked really hard to sound as if I was born here and not to have a russian accent when I speak hebrew until it became intuitive.
with english it was practicing by watching tv a lot and immitating the way people in shows like seinfeld and friends talk just any american show.
then I went to london for a week in 98(in tenth grade) and figured I don't understand anything the locals were saying(while being fluent in english) because of their thick accents. but in the last years Israel imported many shows from england like shameless, footballers' wives, little britain and I had a chance to learn the accent and the slang.

so my russian, american british and hebrew accents are intuitive and I'd sound local in any of these countries...the french I have to force to fake it. same with swedish.
I do come across accent trouble when I'm switching languages fast
like on wednsday before the OL show I was speaking with some friends in hebrew then I saw Yannick and spoke some mixed english hebrew and french and then spoke to nathalie in english with the most horrible hebrew accent(which I usually don't unless I'm making fun of israeli idiots who don't speak a word in english and trying to make a pass at a cute blond tourist)

@Volcano:I forgot to greet you in my traditional dutch(translated to catalan) greeting

jo tinc uns ous grans i jo he de buidar les ara mateix :D

hope I said it right

This is a brittish comedian speaking french in a standup he did in san francisco
has nothing to do with ladino but I figured if you speak a little french you'll find that hilarious
and besides I promised Yannick to show him this clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1sQkEfAdfY

OMG, I just realized this post!!:rolleyes:
It's really funny, makes me think about me on Hellfest, speaking this frenchglish.
"La souris es sûr la table":lol:

Oh, nice topic.
Here's a band I like very much: Janet & Jak Esim Ensemble (or just Janet & Jak Esim)
As the name implies the band's been founded by a Jewish couple in Turkey. They visited many Jewish people whose ancestors had migrated from Spain to Turkey and digged into their song archives and found lots and lots of Sephardic songs in Ladino. They have 3 or 4 albums, including one live which is my favourite. The band also has Erkan Oğur, one of the best fretless guitar virtuoso imho. Usually the songs are cheerful, melodies at least, since I don't understand the lyrics (I studied Spanish for a while but I didn't practice it so I almost forgot everything except some bits of grammar)
You can find some of their live performance on YouTube. Here is one of my favourites:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VKauf6oIws

Yeah, I know Erkan Ogur, I have some turkish music, as Omar Faruk, Aynur, Hüsnü Senlenderiçi, Kudsi Erguner, and I had the chance to see Merçan Dede here in Valencia this year, but I dont like too much his techno dancing stuff, I prefer the ney songs. Awesome the dervish girl dancing in his concert.