Septicflesh - "Communion"

GateXII

Soul Collector
Jun 26, 2001
Chicago, IL
www.twelfthgate.net
Anyone else a fan of these guys (used to be called Septic Flesh)? I've lost touch with this band after their "Ophidian Wheel" album, and just got the new one, "Communion". All I can say is WOW!! :kickass: :headbang: :kickass:

Somewhat hard to categorize, but if I had to pick, I'd say they have more similarities to black metal than any other genre...but only if you consider Opeth black metal too. ;) Though NOTHING like Opeth for you Opeth-haters...John!! :lol:

I hear the horror soundtrack-type symphonics of Dimmu, which gives it that eerie vibe...though much more sincere soundin than the cheesevil of Dimmu or Cradle of Cocks. :p :lol:

They also kinda have a Novembers Doom vibe as well (mostly death vocally, but some of the music as well...doomy but not slow)...not overwhelming, but if you're a fan of ND, I would bet you'd prolly like these guys....maybe.

They do also have clean vocals, though used sparingly & effectively...and they almost have a prog rock feel & sound, but not sure exactly why. ;)

Rachel...if anyone here would have a chance of really getting into these guys, I would think you would. They seem to have all the elements that I think you'd like.

Here's a song off the new one that's prolly the most "accessible":

And here's prolly my fav off the album...for right now anyway. ;)

Enjoy! :kickass:

Last edited by a moderator:
OK...in case you think I'm nuts...haha

The NovDoom vibe I hear:

And the symphonics I spoke of:

Are you a fan yet? :lol:

And no...no Powerfest ties. :rolleyes:

As much as they'd be a guilty pleasure for me personally, just don't think they'd draw enough to justify paying to get them over here. Well...unless enough of you want to sponsor. ;) I'd even dig into my own personal funds to help bring these guys over...that's how bad I'd love to see them. :kickass:

Last edited by a moderator:
You know, I was already nodding my head in approval before I even got to reading the part where you thought I could get into this band. :lol: Good job at nailing my tastes! Wow, yet another band that I've heard about for a long time but never put my ear to. Thanks!

I can definitely hear the ND vibe on "Narcissus".

*runs to The End Records*

You know, I was already nodding my head in approval before I even got to reading the part where you thought I could get into this band. :lol: Good job at nailing my tastes! Wow, yet another band that I've heard about for a long time but never put my ear to. Thanks!

I can definitely hear the ND vibe on "Narcissus".

*runs to The End Records*

Very cool...glad to hear you like what you heard so far. :kickass:

They have a ton of songs on youtube...and I have yet to hear a bad one. ;)

ha, I didn't even know that they'd smooshed their name together, that's dumb.

'Communion' is a good album, but it's basically a combination of their previous two, and since I already have them in separated form, I don't need those smooshed together too!

'Sumerian Daemons' is honestly the "heaviest" album that I've ever heard. The sound just has this huge weight to it. Cranking "Red Code Cult" can be truly frightening.

It was a huge surprise coming after 'Revolution DNA', which is all future-sounding with its friendly guitar harmonies and melodic-robot-singing.

So 'Communion' essentially waters down the heaviness of 'Sumerian Daemons' with the awesome gheyness of 'Revolution DNA', while keeping some of the symphonic touches.

Neil

CRADLE OF FILTH, SATYRICON, SEPTICFLESH: First U.S. Dates Revealed - Oct. 3, 2008
British extreme metallers CRADLE OF FILTH will tean up with Norway's SATYRICON and Greece's SEPTICFLESH (now written as one word) for a North American tour in January/February. So far the following dates have been revealed:

Jan. 16 - Worcester, MA - The Palladium
Jan. 23 - Detroit, MI - Harpo's
Feb. 21 - Orlando, FL - The Club

oh my fucking god. Septic Flesh is actually touring the states! Cradle headlining = me being able to leave early. COME ON, PHILLY!

CRADLE OF FILTH, SATYRICON, SEPTICFLESH: First U.S. Dates Revealed - Oct. 3, 2008

Ha, weird. Since Rotting Christ is doing their second tour here in January, I wondered "why Rotting Christ (a long-lived Greek death/black/art band that no one cares about), but not Septic Flesh (a long-lived Greek death/black/art band that no one cares about)?" I put it down to the fact that Rotting Christ spent most of their career on Century Media, while Septic Flesh was on Holy Records. I guess now that they're with the major-label titan Season of Mist, that changes the equation!

Would still be nice if Rotting Christ and Septic Flesh just ditched the other bands and toured together, but of course that would draw about 3 people.

And Satyricon? I'm always amazed whenever they appear on a US tour. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone who actually listens to Satyricon!

Neil